MacBook Pro and Optimization Test Speed

I've been a Mac proponent since 1984. And, for over a year, have run MT4 platforms on my PowerBook G4 using MicroSoft Vitrual PC (Windows emulation software).  The con was the very slow Optimization speed. Since build 210 on my Dell laptop, auto recalculation on each test,  the optimization tests takes a lot more time. Recently my Dell laptop, on which I ran MT4 platforms and most of my Optimization tests, had a fatal crash. So, I needed to buy new computer. I read on the Consumer Report website that the MacBook Pro with Intel 2.2 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo was the speediest of all Core 2 Duo laptops tested. The Intel based MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion software can run native both Mac and Windows operating systems.  I'm very pleased and excited about the dramatic increase in Optimization test speeds.  What use to take hours, now is in minutes.

I would highly recommend this for those who would like to have the best of both Mac and PC worlds. No commercial intended.

wackena:
I've been a Mac proponent since 1984. And, for over a year, have run MT4 platforms on my PowerBook G4 using MicroSoft Vitrual PC (Windows emulation software). The con was the very slow Optimization speed. Since build 210 on my Dell laptop, auto recalculation on each test, the optimization tests takes a lot more time. Recently my Dell laptop, on which I ran MT4 platforms and most of my Optimization tests, had a fatal crash. So, I needed to buy new computer. I read on the Consumer Report website that the MacBook Pro with Intel 2.2 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo was the speediest of all Core 2 Duo laptops tested. The Intel based MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion software can run native both Mac and Windows operating systems. I'm very pleased and excited about the dramatic increase in Optimization test speeds. What use to take hours, now is in minutes.

I would highly recommend this for those who would like to have the best of both Mac and PC worlds. No commercial intended.
I have developed all my mql4 code and optimizations under MaxBookPro using Parallels desktop.
It works fast and reliable from many month without any problem.
I tried VMware fusion solution too but it was much less reliable and sometimes it crash.

No commercial intended too

wackena:
 I've been a Mac proponent since 1984. And, for over a year, have run MT4 platforms on my PowerBook G4 usingMicroSoft Vitrual PC (Windows emulation software).  The con was the very slow Optimization speed. Since build210 on my Dell laptop, auto recalculation on each test,  the optimization tests takes a lot more time. Recentlymy Dell laptop, on which I ran MT4 platforms and most of my Optimization tests, had a fatal crash. So, I neededto buy new computer. I read on the Consumer Report website that the MacBook Pro with Intel 2.2 or 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo was the speediest of all Core 2 Duo laptops tested. The Intel based MacBook Pro with VMware Fusion softwarecan run native both Mac and Windows operating systems.  I'm very pleased and excited about the dramatic increasein Optimization test speeds.  What use to take hours, now is in minutes.

I would highly recommend this for those who would like to have the best of bothMac and PC worlds. No commercial intended.
Hi wackena,

I'm with you, I also use Fusion on a MacBook Pro for MT4.
It works like a charm!

Cheers!

Max

I have also recently move to a Macbook from a Dell laptop.

I have downloaded trial copies of VMWare, Parallels and Codeweavers Wine software.

So far (last night) I installed MT4 under Codeweavers - doesn't require installation of Windows so was quicker to set up.

Anyway it seems to be working well and is much quicker than my old Dell for backtesting speed.

One question though. I'm a Mac newbie and have no ideas on the deeper issues to do with Wine and virtualisation. This works well enough at the moment and I'm happy but do you think it will run faster under VMWare or Parallels?

If so I'm quite happy to install Windows and use it - I want the best setp for backtesting at the end of the day - but if not then I'd prefer not to put windows on my Mac. Not that I am a Windows hater but I have just moved to Macs after 10+years of using Windows and I'm pleasantly surprised with the quality to say the least.

If I can keep Windows off my machine then great but if it will run better putting VMWARE/PARALLELS on it then I've no problem with installing Windows. I'm not dogmatic about it - I just want the best set up for trading.

BTW for the record my Macbook is a 3 week old 2.1ghz MODEL with 1 gb of ram - My Codeweavers MT4 installation backtests 8 years of data very quickly with only 1 meg but I'm happy to upgrade to 4gb if I'll get faster results with VMware or Parallels - memory isn't expensive these days after all.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your thoughts - you guys seem a bit more clued up on the technical side than me.
Reason: