EA won't optimize in mt4 Strategy tester

I have an EA that is based on a time range breakout that I cannot get to optimize in the strategy tester.  Is there any particular quality that would prevent optimization?
Files:

You have to provide more information! What did you do, what happened and what did you expect instead - and what are the errors in the logs!

I tried it on my setup, and it optimised without any problems. (I just did a short optimisation run on the "entry_range_to_hours" from 1 to 9 in steps of 4).

Can you describe in more detail what exactly you are doing and what it is you are expecting to happen, and is not?

bluesman:
I have an EA that is based on a time range breakout that I cannot get to optimize in the strategy tester.  Is there any particular quality that would prevent optimization?

Did you try unchecking the "Skip Useless results" option in the Optimization results tab ?

(Right click anywhere in the window after selecting the tab)

This will show the results with a profit factor of less than one as well as the more profitable runs

gooly:
You have to provide more information! What did you do, what happened and what did you expect instead - and what are the errors in the logs!
FMIC:

I tried it on my setup, and it optimised without any problems. (I just did a short optimisation run on the "entry_range_to_hours" from 1 to 9 in steps of 4).

Can you describe in more detail what exactly you are doing and what it is you are expecting to happen, and is not?

I also tried it on every tick.

When I tried it with the same paramaters as you it worked for 3 passes.  Previously I was trying to run it for 12 months, 1 hour period, current spread, and open prices.  I was only opmtimizing one field.  But the Optimization Results tab and the Optimizaton Graph tab were coming up blank.  I also tried it on every tick with the same results.  I am looking to get some positive optimization results so I can do a walk forward analysis on out-of sample data.   But you have given me something to work with....thanks..

gooly:
Thank you.  I was trying to run for 12 months, 1 hr period, current spread, and optimizing 1 field.  Optimization results and graph tabs were both coming up blank.  There were no errors in the journal. 

jamescater:

Did you try unchecking the "Skip Useless results" option in the Optimization results tab ?

(Right click anywhere in the window after selecting the tab)

This will show the results with a profit factor of less than one as well as the more profitable runs

Thank you.  I tried unchecking "Skip Useless Results" and there was no change.

bluesman:
Thank you.  I was trying to run for 12 months, 1 hr period, current spread, and optimizing 1 field.  Optimization results and graph tabs were both coming up blank.  There were no errors in the journal. 
  • Set a specific spread, as the current spread my be huge due to it being a week-end
  • What field were you optimising and what were its min, max and step values?

Choose a reasonable setup and run it in visual mode. Check (Comment, Print()) what happens (value od vars and conditions) when you originally want an order at some place...

I'm a latecomer to this particular thread, but I found my solution on Strategy Tester at the "expert properties>optimization tab"... Push the reset button on the bottom right and try again.

I suspect that if you've played with those settings (as I certainly did), your problem is now solved.

Reason: