New MetaTrader 4 build 1010: New opportunities of MQL4

Back to topics list  | 1 2 To post a new topic, please log in or register
FMIC 2016.08.20 17:19 #

ggekko:
Guys, does anybody know if this problem has been solved in the new build?

Did you contact the Service Desk back then in July when you detected the problem? Did they give you a reply

PS! Please read my full post on your original thread as according to the documentation, ArrayFill() function does NOT use WHOLE_ARRAY, but actually needs an explicit count.

ggekko 2016.08.20 19:14 #

Thank you FMIC.

WHOLE_ARRAY definition: "Used with array functions. Indicates that all array elements will be processed. Means the number of items remaining until the end of the array, i.e., the entire array will be processed"

Based on this definition, I think it is rightly assumed that WHOLE_ARRAY should work in ArrayFill() function. Quite misleading thing.

FMIC 2016.08.20 19:26 #

ggekko: WHOLE_ARRAY definition: "Used with array functions. Indicates that allarray elements will be processed. Means the number of items remaininguntil the end of the array, i.e., the entire array will be processed"

Based on this definition, I think it is rightly assumed that WHOLE_ARRAY should work in ArrayFill() function. Quite misleading thing.

I can easily say that "keyboards are used with computers", but that does NOT mean that "ALL computers use keyboards". In the same manner, WHOLE_ARRAY is used with array functions, but that does NOT mean that ALL array functions can use it.

Array functions that do use it, explicitly mention it in the documentation, and those Array functions that do not use i, don't mention it as a possible parameter.

ggekko 2016.08.20 19:33 #

Maybe this definition would be a bit better: "Used with SOME of the array functions. Indicates that all array elements will be processed. Means the number of items remaining until the end of the array, i.e., the entire array will be processed"

"Used with array functions" means ALL array functions for me.

"Used with SOME of the array functions" means that I need to find if a given array function works or not.

It would be better to make a clear and exact definition in an OFFICIAL description. IMHO

FMIC 2016.08.20 20:39 #

ggekko:

Maybe this definition would be a bit better: "Used with SOME of the array functions. Indicates that allarray elements will be processed. Means the number of items remaininguntil the end of the array, i.e., the entire array will be processed"

"Used with array functions" means ALL array functions for me.

"Used with SOME of the array functions" means that I need to find if a given array function works or not.

It would be better to make a clear and exact definition in an OFFICIAL description. IMHO

You are arguing the basic semantics of language. If you don't agree, take it up with the "linguists" and other such intellectuals. This is not the place. I myself am Portuguese and not a native English speaker, yet I was able to see the documentation correctly and point it out to you. So, please accept the fact that it was a lingual misinterpretation on your part and not that the documentation is incorrect or imprecise.
4evermaat 2016.08.21 04:00 #

MetaQuotes:

New MetaTrader 4 build 1010: New opportunities of MQL4

MetaTrader 4 platform update is to be released on Thursday, August 18, 2016. The new version features the following changes:

7. MQL4: The CopyXXX function that copies history and tick data has become faster.

The update will be available through the LiveUpdate system.

Can someone elaborate on what the CopyXXX function is or what it does?

Does this only affect live incoming data feed or will it improve backtests as well? 

FMIC:
You are arguing the basic semantics of language. If you don't agree, take it up with the "linguists" and other such intellectuals. This is not the place. I myself am Portuguese and not a native English speaker, yet I was able to see the documentation correctly and point it out to you. So, please accept the fact that it was a lingual misinterpretation on your part and not that the documentation is incorrect or imprecise.

I do think MQ could do a better job of documenting their own software and functions.  They could provide an example or two to demonstrate how a particular function is supposed to be used.  This improves clarification, especially in a technical environment like programming, where precise syntax is important.

FMIC 2016.08.21 05:32 #

4evermaat: Can someone elaborate on what the CopyXXX function is or what it does?

There is no function called "CopyXXX". They are referring to all the functions like "CopyOpen()", "CopyHigh()", "CopyLow()", "CopyClose()", etc.

4evermaat: I do think MQ could do a better job of documenting their own software and functions.  They could provide an example or two to demonstrate how a particular function is supposed to be used.  This improves clarification, especially in a technical environment like programming, where precise syntax is important.

They do provide examples. In fact, almost all of them have examples on how to use them! Some functions however, don't have an individual example, as they are exemplified in a collective example where several related functions get used together. This also holds true for the ArrayFill() function (which ggecko got all hot and bothered about), and it does have an example of how to use it.
Back to topics list   | 1 2  

To add comments, please log in or register