no indicator window property is defined, for my EA? - page 2

craigt:

Version 5.00, Build 1342 , 01 Jun 2016

Will this thread is for mt4. The forum for mt5 would be here: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum

gooly:
Will this thread is for mt4. The forum for mt5 would be here: https://www.mql5.com/en/forum

@Gooly: MetaEditor v5.00 Build 1342 (01 Jun 2016), is the version that comes bundled with the MetaTrader v4.00 Build 970/971. The editor has been v5.00 for some time since it began taking on the MQL4+ changes, and works for both MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5. It is common to both.

craigt:

Hello

Please can someone explain why i get this warning when complying my EA.

1 Warning  ...  "no indicator window property is defined, indicator_chart_window is applied"                 (no line number) 0  (no column) 0

I have had it before then it disappeared and I cant figure out what i am doing to prevent it appearing, now its back..

I sometimes have this happen when I download a file and it gets loaded in the indicator folder by mistake.

You saved it under a different name and the problem disappeared, so you may find it in the indicator folder with the original name.

FMIC:

@Gooly: MetaEditor v5.00 Build 1342 (01 Jun 2016), is the version that comes bundled with the MetaTrader v4.00 Build 970/971. The editor has been v5.00 for some time since it began taking on the MQL4+ changes, and works for both MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5. It is common to both.

The problem is not the editor but the compiler - no?

gooly:
The problem is not the editor but the compiler - no?
In this case, Editor and Compiler are one and the same, namely the application called "MetaEditor"!

FMIC:
In this case, Editor and Compiler are one and the same, namely the application called "MetaEditor"!
In my experience they are not: If the editor for mt4 and mt5 are the same but mt5 does not compile mt4 how can?

GumRai:

I sometimes have this happen when I download a file and it gets loaded in the indicator folder by mistake.

You saved it under a different name and the problem disappeared, so you may find it in the indicator folder with the original name.

That sounds more like it, i will keep an eye on where the file is saved, all seems ok at the moment,  

Cheers 

gooly:
In my experience they are not: If the editor for mt4 and mt5 are the same but mt5 does not compile mt4 how can?

Technically, the MT5 MetaEditor is a 64bit executable ("metaeditor64.exe") while the the MT4 MetaEditor is a 32bit executable ("metaeditor.exe"), but both have the same base code and are able to edit/compile both ".mq4" and ".mq5" files. When you select "File -> Open" from MetaEditor, you will see that (just above the "Open" and "Cancel" buttons), you can select from "MQL4 files" and "MQL5 files" and you will be able to open and compile both types.

Why don't you open up your own MetaEditor and see for yourself?

Also, take a look at the installation folder and you will find only 3 ".exe" files:

• "terminal.exe" is the MetaTrader application
  • "metaeditor.exe" is the MetaEditor application
  • "uninstall.exe" is the support application to uninstall it.

There is no separate Editor and Compiler executable!

You are right, it's the editor.

Just look here.

Simple fix, thanks for the tip guys

Sometimes I accidentally copy to or save an ea source to the wrong directory, so

moving the EA from \MQL4\Indicators to \MQL4\Experts then opening *.mq4 from the correct directory fixes this occasional frustrating issue

Doh!

Reason: