run MT4 on Linux Centos

Hi,

I wish to launch MT4 on Linux uzing wine. I've been almost successful at doing this but after clicking on the window to accept terms and conditions a new window appears that asks me for proxy server details, i.e. host and port with password. I put in the IP of the server with a port and click ok (without password). The window disappears and a webpage opens referring me to MQL5 website.

The strange thing is I was able to launch FXCM's executable last year successfully and the MT4 platform launced correctly. However it seems there is a new MT4 platform used by FXCM? Is this correct?

Is this is what's causing the issue? Are all brokers using the new platform?

Is it possible the firewall is what's preventing lauinch of the MT4. I know I def would need to open the required port on the firewall for MT4 to access the market data (as was the case last year when I did this) however I did not expect the launch of MT4 to fail because of this firewall issue. Any thoughts?

Please don't ask me why I want to use Linux.

regards,

J.

14967057:

Hi,

I wish to launch MT4 on Linux uzing wine. I've been almost successful at doing this but after clicking on the window to accept terms and conditions a new window appears that asks me for proxy server details, i.e. host and port with password. I put in the IP of the server with a port and click ok (without password). The window disappears and a webpage opens referring me to MQL5 website.

The strange thing is I was able to launch FXCM's executable last year successfully and the MT4 platform launced correctly. However it seems there is a new MT4 platform used by FXCM? Is this correct?

Is this is what's causing the issue? Are all brokers using the new platform?

Is it possible the firewall is what's preventing lauinch of the MT4. I know I def would need to open the required port on the firewall for MT4 to access the market data (as was the case last year when I did this) however I did not expect the launch of MT4 to fail because of this firewall issue. Any thoughts?

Please don't ask me why I want to use Linux.

regards,

J.

Hello,

I had the same problem to install mt4 build 950. I use a derivative of Puppy Linux+Wine.  

Get an old copy of mt4 build 840 install executable. Install this with Linux+Wine. It will not ask for proxy thing. Install on a non-programfiles folder, and chose to Launch platform after installation is finished. After clicking on Finish you should be able to Login into your Live/Demo account at mt4 terminal.

If you click  on Help of terminal and click on About you will see mt4 version is mt4 build 950 and not build 840, although you installed 840. Pls do not ask me why so, as I did not make mt4. Most .ex4 files compiled on build 840 will not work on build 950. you need to recompile .mq4 files with 950.

Good Luck, 

14967057:

I installed MT4 (4.00 build 950) on Fedora Linux and Wine. I did not get the issue you mention.

Has anybody reading this thread compared the performance between Linux+Wine and Windows e.g. an optimization?

gooly

Windows had destroyed my 10 laptops mine and kids. XP, Vista, 7 8 all are disaster UNTIL i discovered Puppy Linux derivative which resurrected them all, gave them a new life. With Wine all things designed for Windows run better & about 10 to 50 times faster than on Windows. Windows is a conspiracy of computer & OS repeat sale enforcement. When your computer will stop working in 5 months after purchase you will be forced to buy next. Linux developers have done wonders & free. Get Simplicity Linux (a puppy distro) & install it as a second OS option on Windows itself with the help of Unetbtin utility and experience for yourself. Google how to do this. Even 1997 Pentium M laptop that crashes on XP runs MT4 with Puppy Linux+Wine with USB WiFi adaptor since old inbuilt wifi does not work, it was in the junk since last 15 years. I shall never use Windows again.

i got same problem
Reason: