Implicit conversion from number to string error

Hi,
I'm a newbie looking at writing a very basic expert advisor to help me with my Trading self-training. I have no real experience of MQL4 coding so please be gentle with me lol

I've got a line of code that gives me an "Implicit conversion from number to string error" when I try and complie in in MT4
I've searched on this great MQL4 forum and found similar threads but I cant seem to be able to apply the answers given to my piece of code. So I thought I'd join and post a thread asking the question :)

Would someone mind advising please why this error is popping up when it tries to compile the "int buyticket" line of code below?

//+------------------------------------------------------------------+
//| Expert tick function |
void OnTick()
{
int buyticket = OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,0.01,Ask,3.0,(Ask +0.10),NULL,26082014,0,Green);
}

Cheers,
Clank

You have not included a stoploss in the ordersend.

So it is taking NULL to be the take profit and 26082014 as the order comment. As it is expecting a string , but finds a number, you get the warning 

int buyticket = OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,0.01,Ask,3.0,Insert Stoploss here,(Ask +0.10),NULL,26082014,0,Green); 

I hope that makes sense

You can look it up yourself by comparing your variables (number and position) in OrderSend() to the requirements of the variables of OrderSend() - just look into the editor's reference:

int  OrderSend(
   string   symbol,              // symbol
   int      cmd,                 // operation
   double   volume,              // volume
   double   price,               // price
   int      slippage,            // slippage
   double   stoploss,            // stop loss
   double   takeprofit,          // take profit
   string   comment=NULL,        // comment
   int      magic=0,             // magic number
   datetime expiration=0,        // pending order expiration
   color    arrow_color=clrNONE  // color
   );

Hi,

Thankyou for this - my code is now  int buyticket = OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,0.01,Ask,3.0,9,(Ask +0.10),NULL,26082014,0,Green); so in effect this gives me a stop loss of 9 pips.

I dont want to badger you as the weekend is coming up, but i have one more error repeated a few times in my next piece of code - namely "return value of 'Order Select' should be checked.

As an example it gets generated here: OrderSelect (result,SELECT_BY_TICKET); 

Using your analysis above, i assume I now have to specify a result ? Sorry for being vague but I've only been learning MQL4 for a day or 2, whereas you guys have such deep knowledge it must have taken you years of study to master? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

Cheers,

Clank 

Clank_001:

I dont want to badger you as the weekend is coming up, but i have one more error repeated a few times in my next piece of code - namely "return value of 'Order Select' should be checked.

As an example it gets generated here: OrderSelect (result,SELECT_BY_TICKET); 

Using your analysis above, i assume I now have to specify a result ? Sorry for being vague but I've only been learning MQL4 for a day or 2, whereas you guys have such deep knowledge it must have taken you years of study to master? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me :)

Have a read here and all should become clear.

Basically, it is a warning not an error saying, "don't you want to make sure this worked?"

Clank_001:

Hi,

Thankyou for this - my code is now  int buyticket = OrderSend(Symbol(),OP_BUY,0.01,Ask,3.0,9,(Ask +0.10),NULL,26082014,0,Green); so in effect this gives me a stop loss of 9 pips.

Using 9 as the SL does not give you a SL of 9 pips. You are on the right track with the TP at Ask+0.10
Reason: