MetaTrader 4 Platform Beta Build 865: Web Trading, Direct Payment for Hosting and One-Time Passwords

Back to topics list  | 1 2 To post a new topic, please log in or register
aytugan 2015.09.07 13:13 #

szgy74:

It would be good to know what the changes in these builds are, like you write in this article.

We don't publish changes for intermediate beta releases. For releases you can find changes here:

4evermaat 2015.09.08 02:13 #

didjeridoo:

Ridiculous, I agree... it's seven years that we are waiting for a better mt4, multithread, multicore, 64 bit, faster and optimized, they have came out with mt5 without the hedging capabilities, and not compatible with mql4

@aytugan,  can you comment on any of these improvements?  I'm surprised mt6 or mtX has not be released that runs both mql4 and mql5 languages under one platform.  That would make almost everyone happy.

Also, the web trader market watch window is missing the spread column.

jjc 2015.09.08 10:10 #

4evermaat:

@aytugan,  can you comment on any of these improvements?  I'm surprised mt6 or mtX has not be released that runs both mql4 and mql5 languages under one platform.  That would make almost everyone happy.

I'm not sure what people think they're asking for, or why. MT4 is already multi-threaded; if you're running 10 EAs then their ticks (and timers) will get handled in separate threads which the O/S will split by default across the available processor cores.

MT4 is only not multi-threaded in two main areas: the GUI, and backtesting. Multi-threading of the GUI is useful (MT5 does it), but hardly essential. And there are obvious difficulties with parallelising a single unit of backtesting across multiple cores; MT5 does not do this.

Similarly, it's hard to see a pressing need for a 64-bit version of MT4. If you want a comparison, the standard installation of Microsoft Office on a 64-bit O/S is the 32-bit version of the software. A 64-bit build of Office does exist, but you have to go out of your way to get the installer to use it, and Microsoft don't recommend it for general use because there's no advantage in doing so. It's hard to argue that MT4 is any different.  

didjeridoo 2015.09.08 23:21 #

jjc:

I'm not sure what people think they're asking for, or why. MT4 is already multi-threaded; if you're running 10 EAs then their ticks (and timers) will get handled in separate threads which the O/S will split by default across the available processor cores.

MT4 is only not multi-threaded in two main areas: the GUI, and backtesting. Multi-threading of the GUI is useful (MT5 does it), but hardly essential. And there are obvious difficulties with parallelising a single unit of backtesting across multiple cores; MT5 does not do this.

Similarly, it's hard to see a pressing need for a 64-bit version of MT4. If you want a comparison, the standard installation of Microsoft Office on a 64-bit O/S is the 32-bit version of the software. A 64-bit build of Office does exist, but you have to go out of your way to get the installer to use it, and Microsoft don't recommend it for general use because there's no advantage in doing so. It's hard to argue that MT4 is any different.  

It is essential exactly like matlab, Photoshop and 3d studio or Maya are 64bit, because of  they are CPU intensive. Word in not CPU intensive. You can't parallelise a single unit of backtest, but you can spread them on multiple cores, and not only the CPU cores but the GPU also, cuda was invented for this purpose, look of google for cuda and financial simulation / analysis.

Metatester on mt5 is 20 times faster then mt4. Optimzed and 64bit. They have already done it.

jjc 2015.09.09 09:34 #

didjeridoo:

It is essential exactly like matlab, Photoshop and 3d studio or Maya are 64bit, because of  they are CPU intensive. Word in not CPU intensive. You can't parallelise a single unit of backtest, but you can spread them on multiple cores, and not only the CPU cores but the GPU also, cuda was invented for this purpose, look of google for cuda and financial simulation / analysis.

Metatester on mt5 is 20 times faster then mt4. Optimzed and 64bit. They have already done it.

I would imagine that Photoshop et al are 64-bit because of the sizes of the datasets which they are occasionally called on to deal with. There are only very limited reasons why 64-bit code would or could be faster than 32-bit code running on the same chip, e.g. larger registers allowing optimisations where more data can be held in registers rather than hitting cache or main memory, and there are also speed disadvantages to 64-bit code such as having to shovel larger data structures (because of larger pointers) around.

But you don't have to take my word for it:

In general, you should not expect to notice a performance increase going to 64-bit. The primary advantage is the removal of the 2GB virtual address space limitation. There are some more registers that can improve code performance, but in most cases it won't be significant. There can be a downside as well if your application stores lots of addresses in memory (more for C than Fortran) because the data size doubles. 

That's a quote from a bloke who works for Intel, and he ought to know. (https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/298526)

I'm not sure how you spread backtesting across multiple cores when ticks have to be processed in sequence because the strategy's actions on any prior tick can potentially affect its actions on the current tick. When I run a backtest in MT5 it says that it's only using one processor core, and the Windows Task Manager appears to confirm that it's only using one core.

To the extent that MT5 backtesting is faster than MT4 backtesting, the main contributor is probably changes and improvements to the way history data is stored and accessed. That could indeed be improved in MT4, but such a change would have nothing whatsoever to do with being 64-bit or multi-threaded.

zirkoner 2015.09.09 19:58 #

didjeridoo:

Backtest on MT5 are not faster than MT4, on average it's rather equal.

Optimizations are faster, a lot more faster because you use all your cores, cpus, but also other computers (local) or the cloud, nothing to do with 64 bits.

To parallelize a backtest, you EA need to be coded specially for that using OpenCL (or DLL), that cannot be done with mql5. And again it's not related to 64 bits.

About improved performance with 64 bits, that has to be checked and proved. MT5 in general is faster than MT4, but it's difficult to say it's due to 64 bits.

jjc 2015.09.09 20:08 #

zirkoner:

Optimizations are faster, a lot more faster because you use all your cores, cpus, but also other computers (local) or the cloud, nothing to do with 64 bits.

I'd forgotten about optimizations because I tend to think of the "Optimisation" checkbox as the "Curve fitting!" checkbox, and never use it.

I entirely agree with you that MT4 backtesting could be improved to run optimisation passes in parallel, and I agree that the speed gain would have absolutely nothing to do with whether the code was 32-bit or 64-bit.

szgy74 2015.09.09 20:20 #

aytugan:

We don't publish changes for intermediate beta releases.

With this you keep the beta testers in darkness, I think it would be your best interest, you could have advantages with publishing these changes.
gilmt4 2015.11.03 07:23 #

I can`y use this feature on mt4 android app.

bind fail always.

error common error. 

Back to topics list   | 1 2  

To add comments, please log in or register