MT4 in MAC

Hi, I was trying to use MT4 in my MAC book air. While testing with a demo account, the data consumed is more that 900 MB in just above 5 mins of usage when i first logged in and started using. 

And for the past 1 month of trial, the total data consumed is more that 25 GB. I have a 15 GB limited monthly internet connection and i had to spend a lot last month after i reached almost twice the usage limit for continuos usage of MT4.

P.S: i have a friend who is using a windows PC and his data consumed is only 4 to 5 GB for the whole month. We both use almost the same set up of charts and indicators....

Can anyone help me. Will the MT4 in MAC consume so much data...?

I used 6 symbols or charts which I keep checking frequently along with 3 to 4 indicators running subsequently for more than 12 hrs every day through out the month.

Also.....does data consumption increase when using the same set up MAC compared to a using windows PC..? 

Thanks

Ramesh 

Well there is no such thing as MT4 on Mac. What you've been doing here is using some sort of Wine (a Windows API suitable for running Windows applications under Mac or Linux). But even so, the underlaying Windows API doesn't cause this kind of traffic. What I would be doing in your case is this:

Make sure that there is no auto-updating service running on OSX. Some stuff like updating iPhone or OSX programs automagically. There are most likely some settings, that cause background checking for updated programs and then automatically downloading them.

I would also check the Wine Version you've been using. Maybe you've been using a package provided by some "distribution" (PlayOnMac or alternative), that does some random calling home (for updates or usage logs sending) or something like this.

I would also check the MT4 "Metatrader 4/history/<yourbrokersname>" directory and check the sizes of the files inside there.

Later on I would remove one indicator after another to see whether the indicator might cause the traffic by calling websites or somilar things. 

Febrook:

Hi, I was trying to use MT4 in my MAC book air. While testing with a demo account, the data consumed is more that 900 MB in just above 5 mins of usage when i first logged in and started using. 

And for the past 1 month of trial, the total data consumed is more that 25 GB. I have a 15 GB limited monthly internet connection and i had to spend a lot last month after i reached almost twice the usage limit for continuos usage of MT4.

P.S: i have a friend who is using a windows PC and his data consumed is only 4 to 5 GB for the whole month. We both use almost the same set up of charts and indicators....

Can anyone help me. Will the MT4 in MAC consume so much data...?

I used 6 symbols or charts which I keep checking frequently along with 3 to 4 indicators running subsequently for more than 12 hrs every day through out the month.

Also.....does data consumption increase when using the same set up MAC compared to a using windows PC..? 

Thanks

Ramesh 

You can decrease the usage if you unsubscribe unused instruments. Open the Market  Watch window (ctrl+M) , right click and select Hide All option. Symbols on charts stay subscribed.

aakcaagac:

Well there is no such thing as MT4 on Mac. What you've been doing here is using some sort of Wine (a Windows API suitable for running Windows applications under Mac or Linux). But even so, the underlaying Windows API doesn't cause this kind of traffic. What I would be doing in your case is this:

Make sure that there is no auto-updating service running on OSX. Some stuff like updating iPhone or OSX programs automagically. There are most likely some settings, that cause background checking for updated programs and then automatically downloading them.

I would also check the Wine Version you've been using. Maybe you've been using a package provided by some "distribution" (PlayOnMac or alternative), that does some random calling home (for updates or usage logs sending) or something like this.

I would also check the MT4 "Metatrader 4/history/<yourbrokersname>" directory and check the sizes of the files inside there.

Later on I would remove one indicator after another to see whether the indicator might cause the traffic by calling websites or somilar things. 

Hi aakcaagac, Thanks a lot for your response... ...i have stopped all the OS X update once i saw a spike in the data usage to confirm which app is consuming more. My activity monitor was showing the MT4 Wine was consuming this lot....

i will try doing the other steps one by one and check.

Ovo:

You can decrease the usage if you unsubscribe unused instruments. Open the Market  Watch window (ctrl+M) , right click and select Hide All option. Symbols on charts stay subscribed.

Hi Ovo, Thanks for your reply. I have already tried doing this... but no result... :(

MT4 don't eat so much data... Except if you download the historic data of the pairs from the history center, else, there is a problem with wine. Wine works pretty good on linux, I remember it take some KB in 5 minutes.
Reason: