What MQL5 functionality is interesting for using in MQL4?

Since mixing MQL4 and MQL5, what kind of new features do you like to use? The reason I ask is because I just don’t see the point of most of it. Structures are great. They are a no-brainer. But beyond that…

For instance, why would I use the SymbolInfoTick with the MqlTick structure when variabels like Ask and Bid are already available to me? It would only take extra processing time. The same goes for functions like iClose compared to CopyRates to an array and then use the array.

Or am I missing something?

burgie:

Since mixing MQL4 and MQL5, what kind of new features do you like to use? The reason I ask is because I just don’t see the point of most of it. Structures are great. They are a no-brainer. But beyond that…

For instance, why would I use the SymbolInfoTick with the MqlTick structure when variabels like Ask and Bid are already available to me? It would only take extra processing time. The same goes for functions like iClose compared to CopyRates to an array and then use the array.

Or am I missing something?

It depends. Speaking of implemented native commands&functions, there is huge number of duplicated functionality in MQL4, resulting from mixing the obsolete MQL4 with the MQL5 commands. It is not a good sign of a programming language, not even a script. But functions are not what I consider advantageous. The implementation of OOP is what changed the MQL4 most.

But...usual OO language comes with some basic packages, which implement basic classes and patterns. They unify different developers in using the language, and then the newly created codes are reusable among other code. It is not the case of MQL4-5, it has only a bunch of GUI-function wrappers, which are rather buggy and update unexpectedly and silently. The OO developers for MQL4 must have their own proprietary base classes and concepts, which are mutually incompatible. This is what i consider the main reason why the code sharing parts of many forums like this went useless lately.

Reason: