freezing

hi there!  I have been having a problem with freezing - not the computer - just MT4.   I am a mac guy not a PC guy, but i purchased a pc for just trading. I know there are some settings internally that can be tweeked.  I just today swithced to 830 build. I did not know about it. But i have not been running it for more than a few minutes.  Made a bunch of trades and it seems quicker.  So maybe that takes care of it.  But if there is a list of settings somewhere for optimum speed and no freezing for both the computer and the MT4 - it would be appreciated.  I am able to undo the freeze by running "disk Cleanup".  Maybe that will give a clue.  Anyway - Thanks for any advice!

Andre

andrej33:   I have been having a problem with freezing - not the computer - just MT4. 
  1. Fix indicators that recalculate all bars per tick instead of using IndicatorCounted()
  2. or, Reduce max bars on chart to something reasonable (5K)
  3. Paging because insufficient RAM for all open charts/programs (See #2)

WHRoeder:
  1. Fix indicators that recalculate all bars per tick instead of using IndicatorCounted()
  2. or, Reduce max bars on chart to something reasonable (5K)
  3. Paging because insufficient RAM for all open charts/programs (See #2)

Thank you for your response.  I hve reduced the max bars to only 1500.  I have 8gigs of ram. I think they recomend at least 4 with 8 being more optimal.  If you think 16 would be better i will change it.  I do not understand response #1. Would a solid state HD be helpful?  I do use RENKO bars which I know has info downloaded then recalculated.  I never knew if they were downloaded to the hard drive or to RAM.  If to the hard drive, then maybe solid state would be good.  I do not need a very large one as the computer is used for nothing else. Do you know of any computer settings that would make improvements?  I think i have optimized the computer for speed rather than appearance.  Looking forward to your feedback and thanks for your help!

Andre

andrej33:

I think they recomend at least 4 with 8 being more optimal.  If you think 16 would be better i will change it. 

I do not understand response #1.

Would a solid state HD be helpful?  

I do use RENKO bars which I know has info downloaded then recalculated

1. Mt4 is a 32 bit program, the maximum size it can grow to is 2 GB.
  2. What part of "recalculating all bars every tick" was unclear?
  3. You've already reduced ram, no.
  4. Offline charts send a message that force all indicators to recalculate all bars, when they receive a new tick. A) Change the generator to send less frequent messages. B) change your indicators to find the last known bar and recalculate from there instead of using IndicatorCounted.

WHRoeder:
  1. Mt4 is a 32 bit program, the maximum size it can grow to is 2 GB.
  2. What part of "recalculating all bars every tick" was unclear?
  3. You've already reduced ram, no.
  4. Offline charts send a message that force all indicators to recalculate all bars, when they receive a new tick. A) Change the generator to send less frequent messages. B) change your indicators to find the last known bar and recalculate from there instead of using IndicatorCounted.

Thank you for your patience with me.

For #2 and #4 I do not know where these settings are to change them.  That's what I mean by I do not understand.  If you could tell me where these settings are found I would appreciate it.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Andre

andrej33: For #2 and #4 I do not know where these settings are to change them. 
Why do you think there is any such settings? What part of "indicator is recalculating" and "change your indicators" is unclear?

WHRoeder:
andrej33: For #2 and #4 I do not know where these settings are to change them. 
Why do you think there is any such settings? What part of "indicator is recalculating" and "change your indicators" is unclear?

You wrote - "A) Change the generator to send less frequent messages. B) change your indicators to find the last known bar and recalculate from there instead of using IndicatorCounted."

Where does one "change" these two things??

Thanks!

In the code.

WHRoeder:

In the code.

Thank you!

I do know how to adjust the code but I will figure it out.  When someone knows something, it seems obvious to them.  To others, not so much. But that is how I will learn, when I am exposed to new things hopefully by someone who is a patient and helpful guide.

Is there a place to go to find out the actual wording, punctuation and placement of these changes in the code?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Andre

learn to code it, or pay someone. We're not going to code it FOR you. We are willing to HELP you when you post your attempt (using SRC) and the nature of your problem.

WHRoeder:
learn to code it, or pay someone. We're not going to code it FOR you. We are willing to HELP you when you post your attempt (using SRC) and the nature of your problem.

I do not know what SRC is.  When i click on it it gives 404 error. The nature of my problem is, as i stated at the beginning, MT4 freezing -  and then unfreezing when i run the "disk cleanup".

It runs fine most of the time.  Then for no apparent reason will freeze. When I am in the middle of a trade it is quite dis-concerning.  Since it is not a constant problem i thought some "tweaking" of some settings could help but apparently not.

Reason: