trendline trigger

Hi,

I am learning about how to capture the value of a trendline and then use it as a trigger for a buy/sell order.

So I made a very very simple EA. I have this small piece of code to place a buy order.

The idea was that I would manually draw a line in a chart, change its name to "my_trendline" and I would move it very close to the price so that when the price goes equal or below this line, a buy order is placed.

Since I am interested in the current BID and the current value on the trendline I am using shift=0 in the ObjectGetValueByShift.

However this is not working.

Am I doing it in the propper way?

int start() {

if ( (Bid<=ObjectGetValueByShift("my_trendline", 0)) && (OrdersTotal()== 0) )
      {
      place_a_buy = place_Buy(1, 1, 100, 1, 150, 3, 1, 1, 1, "");
      }

return(0);

eddieTrader: However this is not working.
  1. "Doesn't work" is meaningless - just like saying the car doesn't work. Doesn't start, won't go in gear, no electrical, missing the key, flat tires - meaningless. There are no mind readers here.
  2. Check your return codes (OrderSend and OrderSelect) What are Function return values ? How do I use them ? - MQL4 forum and Common Errors in MQL4 Programs and How to Avoid Them - MQL4 Articles
  3. Add print statements (including values) before and inside your if's and find out why.

You should at least check the value returned from ObjectGetValueByShift. It may not be so important hre as you are checking for a bid value lower than the returned value

double my_trendline_value=ObjectGetValueByShift("my_trendline",0);
   if(my_trendline_value==0)
      Comment("Trend Line Not Found");
   else
   if(Bid<=my_trendline_value && OrdersTotal()==0)
     {
      place_a_buy=place_Buy(1,1,100,1,150,3,1,1,1,"");
     }

We have no idea what place_Buy does 

Reason: