How to locate my indicators

I am using MT4 v4 Build 765 and I wanted to create a new version of an existing custom indicator - which I have done.

I created the files 'as indicators' in the MT4 developer window and can see both the old and new indicators in the Navigation pane.

Both compile OK

but.... the new indicator doesn't show when I load the chart and look to load the indicator onto the chart.

I can see the old indicator and interrogate OK with iCustom(...........)

I believe I must have copied the old ex4 files directly to that MT4 installation a long time ago.

A long description of a problem but no idea where my ex4 files go when they get compiled and how I get then where I expect to find them - i.e. the Indicators section of the Navigation pane - next to a live chart

Help please

peterhw1:

I am using MT4 v4 Build 765 and I wanted to create a new version of an existing custom indicator - which I have done.

I created the files 'as indicators' in the MT4 developer window and can see both the old and new indicators in the Navigation pane.

Both compile OK

but.... the new indicator doesn't show when I load the chart and look to load the indicator onto the chart.

I can see the old indicator and interrogate OK with iCustom(...........)

I believe I must have copied the old ex4 files directly to that MT4 installation a long time ago.

A long description of a problem but no idea where my ex4 files go when they get compiled and how I get then where I expect to find them - i.e. the Indicators section of the Navigation pane - next to a live chart

Help please

-----------------------

Hi Peter,

Here's a fast way to find where your MT4 files are...especially useful if you are running multiple MT4 terminals with different file folders.

1) In your Navigator...right click on any EA or indicator...select Modify...

2) Your MetaEditor will come up...

3) Click on File...Save As...and look at the directory at the top to find out which folders they are in... (You don't need to save anything...just see the directory)

4) Make note of the directory pathway for future reference...usually a huge number followed by MT4 and then the EA or indicator folder you are in...

Hope this helps you,

Robert

All the above makes sense and understood.

Apologies I just had a wrong extension on the source code. 

So by chance I had valid ex4 files on the 'platform' and valid source programs in the development area but of course despite having the same names the source files were never going to compile and the old routines continued to be used.

A coincidence !

Reason: