Expert Advisor log problem

Hi folks,

I have been using MT4 + different EAs written in MQL4 for quite several months now. These EA print traces using the Print function, and I find these log under /<MT 4 install root>/mql4/Logs

A few days ago, I have wanted to stop live trading for a while, and test a new set of EAs on a practice account of the same broker (in other words, it's the same install).

Now I really need to see the logs, but...:

i) all previous files under /<MT 4 install root>/mql4/Logs have disappeared;

ii) all new files created only contain logs from MT4, not from the EA.

Any idea? It's just driving me crazing.

Thanks in advance.

The log of the expert tab: /mql4/Logs are deleted automatically by mt4! The logs of the journal tab are not. So if you haven't saved them (autom. system save?) they are practically gone. Sorry for you.

Not to be trapped like that you can write to a file (int fHdl= FileOpen();.. FileWrite(fHdl,...);..) which will be placed in /Files and won't be deleted automatically.

Are the print statements showing in the Experts tab?

Right click in the Experts tab window and select "Open"

gadget: i) all previous files under /<MT 4 install root>/mql4/Logs have disappeared; ii) all new files created only contain logs from MT4, not from the EA.
  1. Because that is not normally where they go. Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher - MQL4 Articles 17.02.2014
  2. Experts tab -> right click -> open

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

The messages that my EA prints appear in the Experts tab of course.

Rick Click within the Expert tab directs me to MT4 install root / mql/ Logs....

.... where I can see the usual files (date named, for example 20141202.log)...

.... and within these files none of the EA messages is!

I am running MT4 within Wine on Linux, that might be a strange environment problem, as per the link from WHR (thanks).

Will end sorting it out........ thanks.

gadget:

Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

The messages that my EA prints appear in the Experts tab of course.

Rick Click within the Expert tab directs me to MT4 install root / mql/ Logs....

.... where I can see the usual files (date named, for example20141202.log)...

.... and within these files none of the EA messages is!

I am running MT4 within Wine on Linux, that might be a strange environment problem, as per the link from WHR (thanks).

Will end sorting it out........ thanks.

You should use VirtualBox instead. More reliable and more accurate windows environment.
Reason: