Managing historical data

I use Metatrader 4.

I do not quite understand what is the point of downloaded historical data.

Is it only to have a source of data and then export and import it as a history file?

What I did so far:

1. Download Symbol historical data provided by the broker. (Download button in history center)

2. Export it as .csv file.

3. Double click 1 min subtree in a history center and import .csv file.

Only after these steps I am able to use historical data. Am I missing something?

The problem I have with this method is that it first very time consuming. Metatrader can not hold more than 2 symbols of data. After importing two symbols I have to restart Metatrader.

The second problem is that charts can not seamlessly join historical and existing data. 

I thought that download will already make this data available.

Could some one share their experience or clarify logic behind historical data management that Metatrader is doing and designed to do.

Regards

Leonid 

vostrushka:

I use Metatrader 4.

I do not quite understand what is the point of downloaded historical data.

If you want to test and EA in the Strategy Tester for  a few years you need a few years of data,  so you download it and then you can test.

RaptorUK:
If you want to test and EA in the Strategy Tester for  a few years you need a few years of data,  so you download it and then you can test.

I know that.

It is just before there are number of cumbersome steps between downloading and actually using.

And I was thinking that I maybe missing something and reexporting is not necessary.

Just downloaded data is not available for back testing. That what I was trying to say.

vostrushka:

I know that.

It is just before there are number of cumbersome steps between downloading and actually using.

And I was thinking that I maybe missing something and reexporting is not necessary.

It never used to be . .  if you are getting it from the History center you just download it.  Make sure you close any charts for the symbol you are downloading. Plenty has been written on this subject . . .

RaptorUK:
It never used to be . .  if you are getting it from the History center you just download it.  Make sure you close any charts for the symbol you are downloading. Plenty has been written on this subject . . .

Aha. Closing charts make more sense to me now. Thank you.
Reason: