Terminal Globals Problem - page 4

ProfessorMetal:

Thanks again, DeepThought. I didn't really think that the charts had anything to do with it but thought it worth a mention, just in case. If you've looked at my profile, you'll have seen that I'm highly experienced developer. I've learned the hard way that what you think isn't a problem often turns out to be one. It's always worth asking a question even if you think it's moot. I do think I'm misunderstanding your previous post, though. If the terminal is frozen when the debugger hits a breakpoint, there's no way that you can load a template for the chart you're on. Obviously, I've misunderstood something you were trying to tell me.

angevoyageur,

I can't post anything more than I already have. There are no A, B, C steps that are causing this. It's acting like it's trying to find a debug template and failing to and thus not opening a chart. The log seems to bear this out. If I delete debug.tpl the debugger will open a chart. I still have to set the chart up up myself but that's better than having no debugging at all. This is beginning to look like it's an issue for the service desk. I don't know why I'm seeing this and you and DeepThought are not. I even went so far as to re-install MT4 and the situation persists. It could also be that there is something wrong with my code that's causing it to crash when it tries to load the template. I'm going to pursue that angle before I take it to the Service Desk. Right now, I need to crash myself and get some rest. I'm too tired to focus. Thanks again for your help.

Your custom debug template is probably loading a faulty indicator. Look in the experts tab in the terminal window for an array out of range or a zero divide error.

Hey, SDC. That's already occurred to me. I do have a calculation that I'm suspicious of in the indicator I'm currently developing. I've been meaning to wrap it with some error handling code but haven;t had the time yet to do that. Thanks for the advice.

ProfessorMetal: I've been meaning to wrap it with some error handling code but haven;t had the time yet to do that.
You don't have time to do it right the first time, but you do have time to do it over, or track down bugs caused by it.

WHRoeder:
You don't have time to do it right the first time, but you do have time to do it over, or track down bugs caused by it.

Hey, don't try to teach Grandpa how to suck eggs, Man. The computer isn't my whole life but I've been programming pretty much as long as you have(yeah, I looked at your profile - did you bother to look at mine?). We still used punch cards when I first started. Chill, Son. I get to what I get to when I have time to work on it. I'm not one of the neophyte nitwits we often see on here.

Just take your time Prof and it will be good. :)

deysmacro:
Just take your time Prof and it will be good. :)

Indeed it will, my friend. As a highly experienced professional, I tend to get a little testy when someone wants to treat me as a neophyte. There's a very good reason for not slapping your code full of error handling code on a first go around. It's a very resource intensive and time consuming operation that's best left until you know for certain where problems are likely to occur. Most of my work has been done for multi-billion dollar international companies. I definitely know the development game. :-)

ProfessorMetal:

Indeed it will, my friend. As a highly experienced professional, I tend to get a little testy when someone wants to treat me as a neophyte. There's a very good reason for not slapping your code full of error handling code on a first go around. It's a very resource intensive and time consuming operation that's best left until you know for certain where problems are likely to occur. Most of my work has been done for multi-billion dollar international companies. I definitely know the development game. :-)
Funny argument. Following your statements, I checked your profile, then the linked-in profile (in fact a copy of the mql.com profile, you can find me in Who viewed my profile). You are not as old as you pretend to be, and I do not understand why you even share so many personal information everywhere. Anyway, this is MQL site, so let's solve your problem, if it still persists.

DeepThought:
Funny argument. Following your statements, I checked your profile, then the linked-in profile (in fact a copy of the mql.com profile, you can find me in Who viewed my profile). You are not as old as you pretend to be, and I do not understand why you even share so many personal information everywhere. Anyway, this is MQL site, so let's solve your problem, if it still persists.

Not as old as I pretend to be? What the hell are you talking about? I was born in 1958. Why are you so "surprised" that my profile on two professional sites is the same? Am I supposed to be a different person depending on the site? As far as "personal information" goes, I'm trying to create my own business as a custom software developer. How exactly am I supposed accomplish that if I tell the world, "You don't need to know anything about me. Just take my word for it that I'm the man for the job. Just send your payments to this PayPal account, please." Are we living in two different worlds?

Why are you climbing my case? Up until this point, we've seemed to be pretty much on the same page in this thread. Did you get pissed because I got testy with Roeder(who, by the way, has thanked me in previous encounters for sharing a very simple solution to a situation that others made complicated)? William often seems to look for reasons to belittle others - sometimes he's justified in getting on someone's ass and sometimes not. I've joined him on occasion in jumping some twit's case who who tried every trick in the book to get someone here to develop something for them for free. I don't know why he got snippy with me on this particular issue but if you take a swing at me, I'll hit back.

I'd still like to know why you've all of a sudden taken issue with me. I've none with you unless you want to create one. I'd prefer you didn't.

ProfessorMetal: I'm not one of the neophyte nitwits
Without error checking, I'm not so sure.
ProfessorMetal: don't try to teach Grandpa how to suck eggs, Man. Chill, Son.
WHRoeder: You don't have time to do it right the first time, but you do have time to do it over, or track down bugs caused by it.
You need to Chill. You're getting all bent out of shape over a simple observation. And don't call me "Son", I'm older than you (1957.)

Can I suggest to our veteran programmers to stop this kind of this discussion here.

Thank you.

Reason: