MT4 file system question

Can someone explain the MT4 filing system? Or Windows (7)?

Before the upgrade, it seemed pretty straightforward: EAs were filed in the Experts folder. No more, at least for me. After writing a couple of EAs and indicators, I went to look for them in the same folders where my pre update EAs and indicators still reside, and they are not there. Search Program Files = not found.

When I back up to Search the Computer, I see they are filed in Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft ... ??? and I can't read the rest of it because the window won't stretch, the wheel keeps spinning and the progress bar just keeps flashing. If I click on the file in the Search window it opens OK.., but I still don't understand where it is or how it got there.

I'm a Mac person and Windows filing continues to freak me out. I've restarted Windows, but Search still acts like it's crashed. Or is this the way it normally acts? What is "... AppData\Roaming ..." all about?

• I guess the simplest question is: why, when I create a new EA, why doesn't MT4 put it in the Experts folder the way it used to do?

Thanks!

PS ...

OK. Having said that, I later chased down the elusive EA ex4 file in a folder named intuitively: "\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\76C3BD66298EDEDDD25EE873A407F0D4". Why is it here and not in the Experts folder? The mq4 file ended up in a "... Roaming\Microsoft ..." folder. This happened to both EAs and Indicators. I've tried saving other test EAs and they will not go into the Experts folder. BUT they show up just fine the Navigator window of the Terminal, and execute properly.

Thanks again!

Instead of an uncommented link to a white paper, speaking from a teaching background, I suggest it might be more helpful to have said:

1. Use the File/Open Data Folder link and

2.The Experts folder et al in the application folder - well, I guess we forgot to get rid of them. Sorry for any confusion.

But I have two more thoughts:

- Why do you keep other EAs there still, like the MACD? Don't you think this might be confusing?

- And I suggest that "Data" as in Open Data Folder is not a very intuitive name for an application such as an EA. Sure, in the abstract everything is data, but speaking so as to be best understood, data is more typically understood to mean, as is the price data in the Data Window, the stuff the application works with, not the application itself.

Thanks for your reply.

LouK:

- And I suggest that "Data" as in Open Data Folder is not a very intuitive name for an application such as an EA. Sure, in the abstract everything is data, but speaking so as to be best understood, data is more typically understood to mean, as is the price data in the Data Window, the stuff the application works with, not the application itself.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have a more intuitive name to give to that data folder ?

SDC:
Do you have a more intuitive name to give to that data folder ?

You have a folder called MQL4 which has far as I can tell so far does nothing but hold two moving average EAs. Why not "Open MQL4 folder"?

My main point is that OK., I understand updating file systems. But to leave the original folders there that I have been using for a while pre update, along with what a new user would wonder as to why are the MA EAs there but not mine - I think it should be clarified. I wasted time finding out basically that there's a new button to my scripts. I thought I had a file corruption - and I downloaded a new app.

And I don't think especially a new user, should have to wander into a white paper to figure it out, that's all.

It's way late and I travel - apologies if I don't reply to replies soon.

Thanks again for your reply.

There should be a lot more than that in your MQL4 folder, it should have about ten folders inside it, for EA's, Indicators, Scripts, Logs, Libraries, Includes etc
Reason: