Disk space C full

Hello,

I am backtesting quit a lot and since this evening I noticed I wasn't able to make another backtest, due to a full harddisk I also recieve a MT4 journal message: TestGenerator: write file error.

As I only use this computer for forex related stuff I didn't put junk on it,..

Actually the only thing I installed here on this brand new computer are a dozen metatrader4 platforms and a google chrome webbrowser,

So this excessive disk usage has to come from my backtesting due to unnecessary file storage,...

since I can't backtest anymore from this evening cause there aren't any files left to delete, I would highly appreciate the help of you guys, where to delete those unnecessary data slurping files.

Kind regards,

Wouter V

wouterv:

Hello,

I am backtesting quit a lot and since this evening I noticed I wasn't able to make another backtest, due to a full harddisk I also recieve a MT4 journal message: TestGenerator: write file error.

As I only use this computer for forex related stuff I didn't put junk on it,..

Actually the only thing I installed here on this brand new computer are a dozen metatrader4 platforms and a google chrome webbrowser,

New ? what size hard drive ?

100 gig on the flash disk C

and 2TB on the DRR E

I have all my platforms installed on the 2TB harddrive but for some reason my backtester dumps files into my C disk,.. and uses my C disk to backtest on,.. I really don't get this,...

Are you maybe writing something to the log? it can grow very fast.

Check both terminal and experts log directories.

I did clean the log,.. maybe it's because build 610 stores historical data in the metaquotes folder on the C disk..?

How could I move that metaquotes folder to my E drive without disturbing my platforms functionlitys..?

wouterv:

I did clean the log,.. maybe it's because build 610 stores historical data in the metaquotes folder on the C disk..?

How could I move that metaquotes folder to my E drive without disturbing my platforms functionlitys..?

It seems you can't . . . https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/149824 or maybe you can, did you try installing MT4 to your E drive ?

drazen64: Are you maybe writing something to the log? it can grow very fast.
Don't write to the log file unless you must. Return codes, fine, debugging, no:
int      status_chart;                          // Export to CAProgress/Later.
                                                #define SC_LIVE      0
                                                #define SC_VISUAL    1
                                                #define SC_OPTIMIZER 2
int      init(){
    :
   if      ( !IsTesting() )   status_chart   = SC_LIVE;
   else  if( IsVisualMode() ) status_chart   = SC_VISUAL;
   else{                      status_chart   = SC_OPTIMIZER;
                              Show_Comments  = false;
                              Show_Objects   = false;                         }
}
void LogMe(string s){
   if(status_chart != SC_OPTIMIZER) Print(s);
}

unfortunately i'm no programmer,.. don't understand you :(

could you help me moving all of the necessary files into my Edrive ..?

wouterv:

unfortunately i'm no programmer,.. don't understand you :(

could you help me moving all of the necessary files into my Edrive ..?

update ->

I copied the whole metaquotes folder onto my E harddrive, afterwards I deleted it from my C flash drive,...

this resulted into a total loss of historical data, server login presets when reopening the same platform running on my E drive,... so for somehow build 610 corresponds with the C drive c:\Users\Wouter\AppData\Roaming\Metaquotes\Terminal\hwqkusbxqkxbj.

when my platform was restarted I saw there was allready a new metaquotes folder at the deleted place,.. how can I change the path between my platform and the storage place..?

wouterv:

update ->

I copied the whole metaquotes folder onto my E harddrive, afterwards I deleted it from my C flash drive,...

this resulted into a total loss of historical data, server login presets when reopening the same platform running on my E drive,... so for somehow build 610 corresponds with the C drive c:\Users\Wouter\AppData\Roaming\Metaquotes\Terminal\hwqkusbxqkxbj.

when my platform was restarted I saw there was allready a new metaquotes folder at the deleted place,.. how can I change the path between my platform and the storage place..?

If you do a clean installation and use MT4 in Portable mode (using /portable), then you will be able to have all the files stored under the Main installation folder on the drive you select, and NO files will written anywhere else, not even on your C drive.

The latest MetaQuotes Article explains it all in detail -> Data Structure in MetaTrader 4 Build 600 and Higher ( https://www.mql5.com/en/articles/1388 )

I too had queried about the portable mode before -> How can I make the new MT4 (Build 600) Portable? ( https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/149275 )

I am happy to hear someone who encountered the same problems like i have for the moment.

I have been reading all those posts, but it doesn't work with my computer,.. could it be because I am using windows 8 ..?

if I go to the properties of my shortcut and put a backslash portable at the end of my target line,.. it popups an allert which tells me the location doesn't exist...

Reason: