how to test indicator from market mql4 ? - page 3

RaptorUK:

Nope, sorry.

You know I am interested in the Market, remember my PM to you suggesting it was going to happen ? June last year . . . but I don't have much/any interest in technical Indicators, the only bits I learned about them was while trying to help Users here.

Ok, I don't see the importance of this distinction about indicators in our discussion. We probably have to remain on the topic, by the way I don't know if this discussion can lead somewhere.

Please continue to help users, I won't interfere any more.

angevoyageur:

The new MT4 is working well for the most part. I run my EA on a real account with build 610.

Well, i don't know what to say. And i see no point in arguing further about this.
I'll just give my last words as i already started to write this and i won't comment any further.

Last week i stated on forum, between 100 negative comments from others, that i ported my code to new conventions of b6xx (property strict). And that it is working on demo, without noticeable problems.
So this should be some kind of success? That i lost a number of hours on something that needed no service?
And no, i cannot use the old code. Because fx code needs constant maintenance and improvement.

To be clear, everybody likes improvements and new possibilities.
I love the fact that someday i will be able to make genetic optimization under custom criteria in MT4.
I love the fact that there is finally casting in MQL4.

BUT I WANT TO USE IT WHEN I DECIDE SO. When i see that i will profit because of it.
And i want to have control! I don't want for comments to appear instead of the names of variables UNLESS I DECIDE SO.

And what about the number of bugs behind this forced implementation?

angevoyageur:

I don't fight with users, and I agree they are reason to be unsatisfied. But complaining isn't a thing for me, I let that others, there are already enough of such behaviour on this forum.

Globally I like the work of Metaquotes, they build 2 great products MT4 and MT5, 2 great sites, a lot of useful service. Every smart people have a lot of thing to learn from them. They have also done mistakes and theirs working style seems weird, I am still trying to understand that, by helping not by continuous negative criticism.

There is only one good product. And that is MT4, the old one. With all the possibilities, limits and bugs he still has.
And the environment is good. Some great articles on MQL5.

MT5 is half a product. When i saw it first, october 2012, i was really happy, hoping that this will be a huge step forward.
I started to migrate to MT5 and after 6 months of work, i gave up.
For every good thing (and yes, there are many good things there), at least two downsides.
Everything is too complicated.
Full of bugs, whatever i touched, it didn't work. For everything i wanted i had to find some workaround. (OK, i guess it is far better now)
And 1000 stubborn irritating decisions about not allowing hedging, history control etc. Taking control from developer/trader, shortly.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I WANT!

Essentially, because of this i had to maintain both MT4 and MT5 code at same time. So i found my self only maintaining all the time instead of trading and exploring new possibilities. So it isn't worth it. OOP and good concept of strategy tester is all there is in MT5.

angevoyageur:

Just a question, why are you still using Metaquotes products ?

Why wouldn't i use the old MT4? It's working good and i will continue to use it.
I have too much code (of my own, EAs and indicators), knowledge about the system and good brokers to leave this environment.

And yes, you are right, MQ is not the only vendor of programmable trading platforms anymore.
And first competitors motto is 'TRADERS FIRST!'.
Can you make a wild guess why they chose this motto?

graziani:.

BUT I WANT TO USE IT WHEN I DECIDE SO. When i see that i will profit because of it.

And i want to have control! I don't want for comments to appear instead of the names of variables UNLESS I DECIDE SO.

Don't use #property strict. Simple.

And what about the number of bugs behind this forced implementation?

There is only one good product. And that is MT4, the old one. With all the possibilities, limits and bugs he still has.
And the environment is good. Some great articles on MQL5.

MT5 is half a product. When i saw it first, october 2012, i was really happy, hoping that this will be a huge step forward.
I started to migrate to MT5 and after 6 months of work, i gave up.
For every good thing (and yes, there are many good things there), at least two downsides.

Everything is too complicated.

Anyone can have his opinion. Not a problem.

Full of bugs, whatever i touched, it didn't work. For everything i wanted i had to find some workaround. (OK, i guess it is far better now)
And 1000 stubborn irritating decisions about not allowing hedging, history control etc. Taking control from developer/trader, shortly.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I WANT!

I understand that. But why is it so hard to understand that a commercial company don't have as goal to provide you a platform to do all what you want. I never encountered a software which can do all what I want. Except those I program myself.

Essentially, because of this i had to maintain both MT4 and MT5 code at same time. So i found my self only maintaining all the time instead of trading and exploring new possibilities. So it isn't worth it. OOP and good concept of strategy tester is all there is in MT5.

Why wouldn't i use the old MT4? It's working good and i will continue to use it.

I have too much code (of my own, EAs and indicators), knowledge about the system and good brokers to leave this environment.

And yes, you are right, MQ is not the only vendor of programmable trading platforms anymore.
And first competitors motto is 'TRADERS FIRST!'.
Can you make a wild guess why they chose this motto?

Of course, for marketing reason. No commercial firm has as primary goal customer satisfaction. Their goal is to make money, and customer satisfaction is one of the possible way. When a company reaches an almost monopoly, way to make money greatly loses its importance. Welcome to real world.

angevoyageur:
Don't use #property strict. Simple.

You missed the point. It is just an example. And #property script has no influence on this beautiful feature.

Of course, for marketing reason. No commercial firm has as primary goal customer satisfaction. Their goal is to make money, and customer satisfaction is one of thepossible way. When a company reaches an almost monopoly, way to make money greatly loses its importance. Welcome to real world.

You missed the point. They are using it because they realized that it is probably the primary cause of dissatisfaction on users side.

@graziani: Apart from Hedging and Importing Data, mt5 is superior to mt4 in every other category. Imo.

Hedging form a Trading (Point of View) doesn't yield any advantages. It simply makes the following easier:

• Trading multiple opposing Signals on the same Symbol.
  • Easily differentiate Manual Trades vs Expert Advisor Trades.
  • There are allot of other little things that Hedging makes easier.

ubzen:

mt5 is superior to mt4

of course it is. but it is complementary, so i cannot use MT5 solely.

• Trading multiple opposing Signals on the same Symbol.

this is the only reason i need hedging for.

i can hedge in MT5, it is not impossible. but it is too complicated.

please come back at main message of the post...........

graziani: i can hedge in MT5, it is not impossible. but it is too complicated.

Totally agree with you on that one.

Even manual traders used-to mt4 will-not be happy with Position-Centric management.

Non-Forex markets/traders however do-not see what all the fuss is about.

This is what getting used to something and not willing to change does to someone.

js497: please come back at main message of the post...........
Ok, Sorry. Please no-more off-topic comments.

js497: how to test indicator from market mql4 ?

The answer to your question is that you cannot. (at least not at this time)

A developer who wants this should provide a free-version, hard-code the indicator to a useless symbol.

A potential drawback is that someone using the free-version could switch the data the symbol is working on. (mt4 only).

But the question now becomes why should developers do-this when mt5-market sets a different precedence?

Why would MetaQuotes take a position that Indicator-Operation must-not change is surprising to me.

This is what happens when there are contradictory features "we know they can do it ... but they choose not" why?

Reason: