Metaeditor 600 and Antivirus problem

Here is the link to the VirusTotal.com analysis of the latest metaeditor.exe: http://bit.ly/1g4q7O6

Trend Micro and Ikarus report virus.

Can somebody at the MetaQuotes raise this issue with the antivirus makers to resolve this issue?

It makes me problems because I have enterprise Trend Micro antivirus installed and I cannot add exceptions on my own, and my antivirus admin is a bit paranoid.

drazen64:

Here is the link to the VirusTotal.com analysis of the latest metaeditor.exe: http://bit.ly/1g4q7O6

Trend Micro and Ikarus report virus.

Can somebody at the MetaQuotes raise this issue with the antivirus makers to resolve this issue?

It makes me problems because I have enterprise Trend Micro antivirus installed and I cannot add exceptions on my own, and my antivirus admin is a bit paranoid.

Forward this to the service desk because that's the best way to MetaQuotes directly.

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/628

ubzen, thanks for the suggestion.

I opened new request at the service desk. Hopefully, MetaQuotes will quickly resolve this.

drazen64:

ubzen, thanks for the suggestion.

I opened new request at the service desk. Hopefully, MetaQuotes will quickly resolve this.

Resolve what ? It's not to Metaquotes to resolve a problem with your antivirus. Contact Trend Micro.

angevoyageur:
Resolve what ? It's not to Metaquotes to resolve a problem with your antivirus. Contact Trend Micro.

So, you are saying that MetaQuotes does not care at all because one of the biggest antivirus providers marks their software as dangerous and prevents installations?

Besides, how could I know that there really is not a virus?

What if in next few days other antivirus providers mark metaeditor.exe as infected?

Finally, antivirus providers cooperate with developers to resolve those issues. It is almost impossible for some John Doe, who does not have any connection to developers, to convince antivirus providers to fix this kind of problems.

angevoyageur:

Just one more thing.

Since you are the moderator here, can you confirm that this is official Metaquotes point of view on this issue?

drazen64:

So, you are saying that MetaQuotes does not care at all because one of the biggest antivirus providers marks their software as dangerous and prevents installations?

I don't say that they don't care, I said that Meatquotes can't do anything about that. There is no virus in MT4 platform.

Besides, how could I know that there really is not a virus?

Of course, as a user you can't. CEO of Metaquotes said that it's a false positive. You can choose to trust him...or not.

What if in next few days other antivirus providers mark metaeditor.exe as infected?

That has not happened.

Finally, antivirus providers cooperate with developers to resolve those issues. It is almost impossible for some John Doe, who does not have any connection to developers, to convince antivirus providers to fix this kind of problems.

Antivirus developers have to do better job, this is a recurring situation with some "antivirus". You always have the choice to use a better antivirus.

I assume that all virus detection programs search within the executables, dlls and other file-types for characteristic byte-patters from which the know they belong to a known virus.

If such a pattern is detected within a new program you are alarmed. So go and sent the 'virus'-files to the programmers that they change their pasterns e.g. by adding some additional information.

hhmmppff

You could be right.

Now you just need to convince my bosses not to kick MetaTrader out of production.

You see, it is a bit hard to expect financial institution to manage accounts with hundreds of thousands in hard currency (and larger) with a software that makes antivirus protection ringing.

But, anyway, you will probably hear it from your customers (the brokers) when/if we move our accounts to other platforms.

I am not the one to decide, I just have to report what I found: antivirus reports suspicious module, developer does nothing or can't do nothing.

Bosses decide if we move accounts away from MetaTrader.

gooly:

I assume that all virus detection programs search within the executables, dlls and other file-types for characteristic byte-patters from which the know they belong to a known virus.

If such a pattern is detected within a new program you are alarmed. So go and sent the 'virus'-files to the programmers that they change their pasterns e.g. by adding some additional information.

hhmmppff

Then theirs patterns aren't so good. Anyway antivirus are more complicated than that, they use some heuristic algorithms, trying to identify "new" virus for which there is not yet a known "pattern".

drazen64:

You could be right.

Now you just need to convince my bosses not to kick MetaTrader out of production.

You see, it is a bit hard to expect financial institution to manage accounts with hundreds of thousands in hard currency (and larger) with a software that makes antivirus protection ringing.

But, anyway, you will probably hear it from your customers (the brokers) when/if we move our accounts to other platforms.

I am not the one to decide, I just have to report what I found: antivirus reports suspicious module, developer does nothing or can't do nothing.

Bosses decide if we move accounts away from MetaTrader.

I guess you are replying to me. Please note that I am not an employee of Metaquotes, and what I wrote on the forum is only my opinion.
Reason: