Beta MetaTrader 4 Build 555 with Updated MQL4 Language and Market of Applications Released - page 14

Quantum:

If you want to use ComboBox separately from CDialog/CAppDialog control, you need to:

1) Specify the ComboBox Id in OnInit() function:

2. Proceed chart events the following way (for the example you posted):

Thanks for your reply and the code example. I only just found it via a link from one of the current threads on the beta. I was using the combobox in CDialog/CAppDialog when the issue emerged from r566, and it has persisted. Comparing to the example recently posted I have been able to locate the difference.

The code dialog I created was based on the SimplePanel provided on the mql5 website. The combo box worked in my dialog from about b562 to b565.
The initialization code is as follows in line with the example:

int OnInit() {

if(!MyDialog.Create(0,"TestDialog",0,5,25,190,165))
     return(INIT_FAILED);

if(!MyDialog.Run())
     return(INIT_FAILED);

return(INIT_SUCCEEDED);
}

compared to the SimplePanel example:

int OnInit(void)
  {
//--- create application dialog
   if(!ExtDialog.Create(0,"Simple Panel",0,50,50,390,200))
     return(INIT_FAILED);
//--- run application
   if(!ExtDialog.Run())
     return(INIT_FAILED);
//--- ok
   return(INIT_SUCCEEDED);
  }

The recently posted example performs the initilization as follows:

int OnInit()
  {
//--- ñîçäàíèå äèàëîãà
   if(!ExtDialog.Create(0,"MemoryControl",0,X_START,Y_START,X_SIZE,Y_SIZE))
      return(INIT_FAILED);
//--- çàïóñê
   ExtDialog.Run();
//---
   return(INIT_SUCCEEDED);
  }

Ie, the check for an error on Run() and subsequent INIT_FAILED has been removed. So this means that, in mql4.5, if you have a combobox in your dialog, Run() will return False, indicating an error, but you should simply ignore it and continue.

Hi, been away for a little while. (Since Oct 2013). What is the general consensus on these mql4 changes..

Is it worth migrating a work in progress now?

Is it stable/useable?

Now that MQL4 is adding these new features to support more advanced programming, (rather than 'scripting' ) does it now do fundamental checks for variables 'used but no declared', or 'declared but not used'?

ydrol:

Hi, been away for a little while. (Since Oct 2013). What is the general consensus on these mql4 changes..

Is it worth migrating a work in progress now?

Come 3rd Feb you won't have many options . . .

OK (without reading too much I admit) that means I should download the beta and start to migrate?

Is it 100% back compatible?

Impression I get skimming the thread is that there are some misgivings? Is there a clear list of issues or concerns that is generally agreed upon? but if this is affecting a few people then there we could collate some clear guidance that is free of marketing influence?

- appreciate I'm being a little lazy here that will change soon once I get my head down! Didn't fancy reading through 14 pages of free-running discussion right now :)

Currently I find myself 'fighting mql' to get stuff done. I'm wondering if the new changes will help here. My biggest annoyances are programming environments that dont report use of undeclared variables, or unused variables, as these account for a lot of errors in significant sized programs.

Do plan to give back at some stage ( a work in progress here ---> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QDfSb6qzAY74Rmk1eAjvYOmd0DPfBgxY9k5Cghr2Sv0/edit?usp=sharing )

ydrol:

1) OK (without reading too much I admit) that means I should download the beta and start to migrate?

2) Is it 100% back compatible?

3) Impression I get skimming the thread is that there are some misgivings?

4) Is there a clear list of issues or concerns that is generally agreed upon?

5) but if this is affecting a few people then there we could collate some clear guidance that is free of marketing influence?

- appreciate I'm being a little lazy here that will change soon once I get my head down! Didn't fancy reading through 14 pages of free-running discussion right now :)

Do plan to give back at some stage ( a work in progress here ---> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QDfSb6qzAY74Rmk1eAjvYOmd0DPfBgxY9k5Cghr2Sv0/edit?usp=sharing )

1. Yes
  2. No
  3. Yes, mostly in the area of data-format.
  4. Nope
  5. the Forum

Recommend you just download the Beta and try using your current stuff on it. If you run into errors then go from there.

Thanks! Downloading now (I think!)

Not sure if 'the forum' is a 'clear guide' but I'll soon find out I guess :) Reading now too!

How to upgrade?

I've followed the post here but nothing is upgrading. I'm trying to upgrade an MT4/Alpari install. Are upgrades still working - if so I'll persevere..

ydrol:

How to upgrade?

I've followed the post here but nothing is upgrading. I'm trying to upgrade an MT4/Alpari install. Are upgrades still working - if so I'll persevere..

I'll recommend you download a fresh mt4 from this website. Like on the bottom of the forum it says "download metatrader4". Install that in a separate folder outside program files.

I think upgrades will automatically happen after February 3. In the meantime you can play with the demo. If you're still having problems after the new install then check this out... already worked for someone having the same issue as you https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/148851/page19#899023.

Thanks ubzen. I'll give it a whirl ...

ydrol:

How to upgrade?

Follow this to the letter: install new MT4 beta
Reason: