mq4 file compiles fine but terminal won't load the file

I have a very strange problem that has just started occurring after MT4 upgraded itself to build 500.

Prior to the upgrade I could compile a script, indicator, or EA and the Terminal  had no problem reloading the newly compiled file.

Since the upgrade the Terminal no longer successfully reload the recompiled file.

Under the Experts tab, when I try recompile a file (Clock.mq4 in this example) I get the following line:

2013.07.11 07:24:43 Clock EURUSD,M15: cannot open file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OANDA - MetaTrader\experts\indicators\Clock.ex4', expert was not reloaded

The Journal tab doesn't give any additional information.

I have tried the following to work around this problem, but no success yet:

• Deleted Clock.mq4 and Clock.ex4, recreated Clock.mq4  and recompiled.
  • Removed Clock.ex4 from the EURUSD chart window and attempted to place it back on the chart.
  • Switched to the Default profile, removed all open charts, create a EURUSD H1 chart, attempted to add Clock.ex4 to it.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? And does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and/or how to correct it?

Terminal.exe just refuses to load any file compiled after the Build 500 upgrade.

The version information is as follows:

Terminal.exe: Version 4.00 Build 500 (9 May 2013)

Metaeditor.exe: Version 4.00 Build 509 (24 Jun 2013) 

tdbarnard:

I have a very strange problem that has just started occurring after MT4 upgraded itself to build 500.

Prior to the upgrade I could compile a script, indicator, or EA and the Terminal  had no problem reloading the newly compiled file.

Since the upgrade the Terminal no longer successfully reload the recompiled file.

Under the Experts tab, when I try recompile a file (Clock.mq4 in this example) I get the following line:

2013.07.11 07:24:43 Clock EURUSD,M15: cannot open file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OANDA - MetaTrader\experts\    indicators    \Clock.ex4', expert was not reloaded

The version information is as follows:

Terminal.exe: Version 4.00 Build 500 (9 May 2013)

Metaeditor.exe: Version 4.00 Build 509 (24 Jun 2013) 

Two points:

1.  why do you have an EA in the Indicator folder ?  put it in the experts folder instead . . . .

2.  you can use an older ME with a newer terminal,  not the other way around,  so use  ME Build 500  or  use Terminal build 509 

No EAs are in the Indicator folder. I simply listed what I'd attempted to compile. EAs are in the Experts folder.

What you see in bold in my first post is just an example of the loading error.  Clocks.ex4 lists under the Custom Indicators tab.

I trade with Oanda and the upgrade happens automatically without saving the prior version(s). Is there a URL

available where I can go get the older ME? Or is there a way to force MT4 to perform another upgrade? (I'm

assuming/hoping that a follow-on upgrade might fix this)

Thanks 

tdbarnard:

No EAs are in the Indicator folder. I simply listed what I'd attempted to compile. EAs are in the Experts folder.

I trade with Oanda and the upgrade happens automatically without saving the prior version(s). Is there a URL

available where I can go get the older ME? Or is there a way to force MT4 to perform another upgrade? (I'm

assuming/hoping that a follow-on upgrade might fix this)

Clock is in the indicators folder,  "C:\Program Files (x86)\OANDA - MetaTrader\experts\    indicators    \Clock.ex4"  and you said it was  "Under the Experts tab, when I try recompile a file (Clock.mq4 in this example)"

Try downloading a Demo from another Broker,  install to a different folder,  it's a bad idea to install in Program Files*  so use something like  C:\MT4Installs\broker_name\   run it and let it update itself,  then you should have the latest ME and Terminal builds,  backup your Terminal and ME files in your Oanda installation and copy over the Terminal,  check it's actually Build 509 first though.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. By the "Experts Tab" I was referring to the tab at the bottom of Terminal.exe's screen where it lists "Trade", "Account History", ... "Expert", "Journal". Its the tab that shows you the logging info of a chart's indicators, scripts, and EAs, as well as whether or not something loaded successfully. I didnt mean to imply that Clock.ex4 was an EA. Its an indicator.

What I did try, and it worked, was to rerun Oanda's mt4 setup file but installed it in a slightly different directory. Now both Terminal.exe and ME match builds (both are now 509).

I like your idea about installing somewhere other than "Program Files". Definitely going to do this.

Thanks for the help! 

tdbarnard:

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. By the "Experts Tab" I was referring to the tab at the bottom of Terminal.exe's screen where it lists "Trade", "Account History", ... "Expert", "Journal". Its the tab that shows you the logging info of a chart's indicators, scripts, and EAs, as well as whether or not something loaded successfully. I didnt mean to imply that Clock.ex4 was an EA. Its an indicator.

What I did try, and it worked, was to rerun Oanda's mt4 setup file but installed it in a slightly different directory. Now both Terminal.exe and ME match builds (both are now 509).

I like your idea about installing somewhere other than "Program Files". Definitely going to do this.

Sorry,  just having a bit of a brain fade moment . . .    you did say experts tab . . .  glad you got it sorted 
Reason: