Custom on-chart buttons in EA not working on Windows 8

I am running an EA with custom on-chart buttons that allow order submission and closure. The buttons can be pressed/activated without issue on a Windows 7 Pro 64 bit platform.

The identical EA code and MT4/EA configuration on a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit platform does not work. When trying to press the button, the effect is as if the button did not exist -- i.e. left-click "grabs" the chart to slide it, and right-click brings up a popup menu. On both systems, the labels for the buttons appear when hovering on them.

It appears that MT4 is unable to recognise the action associated with the button or is ignoring mouse clicks on the button or passing them through to MT4 rather than treating mouse clicks as EA button presses.

Is there any setting in MT4 (or Win8) that needs to be changed to allow EA on-chart buttons in MT4 to be recognised? Is any additional mq4 code likely to be required to enable on-chart buttons under Win8?

Thanks!

These kind of buttons are Visual C++ (or whatever the language of the dll plugin) related not MT.

So ask the button developer.

codersguru:

These kind of buttons are Visual C++ (or whatever the language of the dll plugin) related not MT.

So ask the button developer.

Yes, that is the best approach. Unfortunately, I do not have direct access to the developer, and the indirect access I have seems to indicate the developer may not know what the issue could be.

My thinking is that if the identical code (MT4 and EA) runs differently on Win7Prox64 and Win8Prox64, there must be a configuration issue on Win8 or the code is somehow incompatible with Win8. I have tried running everything in compatibility mode (Win7, XPSP3) and the same behaviour occurs. Hence, my feeling that it may be a configuration issue.

Would you have any suggestions as to potential configuration or common code incompatibilities one might investigate? Thanks for any advice you may offer.

jeronymite:

Yes, that is the best approach. Unfortunately, I do not have direct access to the developer, and the indirect access I have seems to indicate the developer may not know what the issue could be.

My thinking is that if the identical code (MT4 and EA) runs differently on Win7Prox64 and Win8Prox64, there must be a configuration issue on Win8 or the code is somehow incompatible with Win8. I have tried running everything in compatibility mode (Win7, XPSP3) and the same behaviour occurs. Hence, my feeling that it may be a configuration issue.

Would you have any suggestions as to potential configuration or common code incompatibilities one might investigate? Thanks for any advice you may offer.

The code probably relies on a Windows DLL that has changed from Windows 7 to Windows 8.  If it works on Windows 7 and you need to use it then run it on Windows 7.  Or you might be able to run a virtual machine inside Windows 8  and run Windows 7 that way,  you will still need a Windows 7 retail license.  You could try running MT4 in one of the compatibility modes . . .
Reason: