Back up .Mq4 files, . Mq4 in client terminal ,and transfering .mq4 files to other PC with MT4 for use.

I have 5 .Mq4 files for EA's which appear in MetEditor.

1.When I opened the MT4 platform Via the Desktop: Start/Computer/C Drive/Program(X86)/ MT4 Platform/experts, only 1 of the 5 .mq4 files appear there ?!,  But if I open the same folder Via Meta Editor: File/Open , C Drive/Program (X86)/MetaTrader Platform/experts,  All 5 .mq4 files show there.    Is it normal to go to the same directory and for the  number of .mq4  files that appear to be different, depending on if going Via Desktop or MetaEditor ?

2.If I want to Backup .mq4 files within my computer or external hard drive for safe keeping, Is Doing it Via MetaEditor, File/Save as/.. and choosing the folder to save it to  the correct way ? I have been doing this and end up with the .mql4 file and the .ex4 file in the saved file. Is this the correct way to Backup files?

3. I used one of the files I saved Via MetaEditor/File Save as/ ...and placed the file in  the experts folder of MT4 Platform on another PC, When I opened the .mq4 file on the other PC to modify it in MetaEditor, it opened the file as normal but  I couldn't edit any of the parameters it was as if it was protected from being edited. (It is a file I by created myself) ? Is this usual ?

Any advice on how to do the above and if the way I am doing it is correct. would be appreciated.  I thought it was the correct way until I started having a few issues.  ,Thanks. 

barnacle7:

Any advice on how to do the above and if the way I am doing it is correct. would be appreciated.  I thought it was the correct way until I started having a few issues.  ,Thanks.  

Search the Forum for UAC issues and read some of the many posts,  they will tell you all you need to know.

I had a look at the UAC articles, I couldn't see anything simalar to my issues . So to avoid issues from the UAC,  we have to put the MT4 platform in a folder other then the (Program file or Program (X86) for windows 7. .

1.Perhaps put the MT4 Terminal and all its elements on the Desktop or in eg: C/ My MT4 .

2.Turn off UAC   , or Rather then having the risk of turning of the UAC, Is Starting  MT4 in   "Run as Administrator" sufficient to avoid issue ?

Is this all we need to do to avoid issues ?

Once I have done the above can I then create, compile programs in Meta Editor and run Stratagey tester and load Ea's on to a MT4 platform doing it all from 1 PC ? or is it still sugested to create and do the compiling of programs in Meta Editor and running of Strategy tester  on a secondary PC  seperate form the Primary PC which will run the  Platform with the  completed Ea's  ?  

Please let me know if there is anything else which would be of use.

Thanks. 

barnacle7:

I had a look at the UAC articles, I couldn't see anything simalar to my issues . So to avoid issues from the UAC,  we have to put the MT4 platform in a folder other then the (Program file or Program (X86) for windows 7. .

1.Perhaps put the MT4 Terminal and all its elements on the Desktop or in eg: C/ My MT4 .

2.Turn off UAC   , or Rather then having the risk of turning of the UAC, Is Starting  MT4 in   "Run as Administrator" sufficient to avoid issue ?

Is this all we need to do to avoid issues ?

Once I have done the above can I then create, compile programs in Meta Editor and run Stratagey tester and load Ea's on to a MT4 platform doing it all from 1 PC ? or is it still sugested to create and do the compiling of programs in Meta Editor and running of Strategy tester  on a secondary PC  seperate form the Primary PC which will run the  Platform with the  completed Ea's  ?  

Please let me know if there is anything else which would be of use.

1.  I wouldn't use the Desktop, C:\MyMT4\ is a better option or if you plan to have multiple Broker installations,  C:\MT4Installs\

2.  You will have to decide for yourself if you want to turn UAC off or not,  it is a risk you need to decide on for yourself.   My user account has Administrator privileges so I never need to run anything As Administrator,  just to be clear,  I don't not use the Administrator account,  I use my own account which has the same rights as the Administrator account.

Moving the MT4 installation should go most if not all of the way to avoiding UAC issues.  I run EAs and compile them on the same PC with no issues,  I also run multiple Broker MT4s on the same PC,  they are installed to different directories.

Don't turn off UAC unless you know what you're doing - it's there for a reason. Just install MT4 in a directory other than Program Files. I have all my MT4 instances in C:\Trading and everything works perfectly.

Thanks RaptorUK and fxjozef,  I have left the UAC on and moved the files out of Programs.

Raptoruk, regarding   " just to be clear, I don't not use the Administrator account, I use my own account which has the same rights as the Administrator account." would you please let me know if my understanding is correct, you have created a 2nd User Profile in your PC which is of the User type ,"Administrator". I take it for the purpose of seperating things. Is that for the pupose of eg. compiling in one Profile and running the MT4 terminal in the other profile ? To safe guard things in User profile (A) from  User Profile(B) in some way ?

Thanks 

barnacle7:

Thanks RaptorUK and fxjozef,  I have left the UAC on and moved the files out of Programs.

Raptoruk, regarding   " just to be clear, I don't not use the Administrator account, I use my own account which has the same rights as the Administrator account." would you please let me know if my understanding is correct, you have created a 2nd User Profile in your PC which is of the User type ,"Administrator". I take it for the purpose of seperating things. Is that for the pupose of eg. compiling in one Profile and running the MT4 terminal in the other profile ? To safe guard things in User profile (A) from  User Profile(B) in some way ?

I am using Win 7 Pro so if you are using a home version you may not be able to do what I have done.  I have my user account and I have added it to my Administrators group,  so it has Administrators rights but I don't use the Administrator user account.

RaptorUK:
I am using Win 7 Pro so if you are using a home version you may not be able to do what I have done.  I have my user account and I have added it to my Administrators group,  so it has Administrators rights but I don't use the Administrator user account.

Yes I have the home Premium version, Thanks for your assistance .

Reason: