Why some great coders and trading system developers are ignoring Metatrader 5? - page 6

We can change the settings by ourselves in EA's input so no problem with it. 

By the way ... I am not sure that ubzen uploaded the version I was trading. Because there are a lot of versions.
So, I was using exact the version I attached to this post (with indicators from the post made by ubzen) 

RaptorUK:
But why does MT5 prohibit  me  from hedging ? isn't it my choice ?
No unfortunately, your choice is only whether to use it or not.

SDC:
No unfortunately, your choice is only whether to use it or not.
But why ?  my question was really aimed at the MT5 proponent and he didn't bother to reply . . . I'm not bound by NFA rules so why shouldn't I have access to an MT5 version that allows me to hedge ?

RaptorUK:
But why ?  my question was really aimed at the MT5 proponent and he didn't bother to reply . . . I'm not bound by NFA rules so why shouldn't I have access to an MT5 version that allows me to hedge ?

We have done the calculation several times. Seens stricktly from the point of resulting performance hedging never gives you an advantage. In best case it breaks even with the non hedging strategy. Still i have used it for technical resons, since it was easier to keep track of the 'trade session' if something like that is used.. But i fully agree that it should at least be possible to keep hedges, if they are good for trading beginners is another discussion

Michael,

"hedging never gives you an advantage."

I believe hedging positions increases account risk but I do not believe this doesn't mean hedging doesn't provide an advantage. Correct hedging or grid-ding of orders can be profitable based on forward and back tests I've viewed and reviewed in the past.

"In best case it breaks even with the non hedging strategy."

I do not agree, I believe each strategy is unique and provides it's own performance standards. Hedging and grid-ding of orders are simply trading methods.

"But i fully agree that it should at least be possible to keep hedges, 

I never took the time to investigate why FIFO exists to begin with. I might possibly do a little " web surfin' " to find the cause in the near future and inform the MQL4 forum. ;)

"if they are good for trading beginners is another discussion"

I do not believe trading beginners should trade live to begin with, unless ;) an EA is used by a beginner with knowledge of its external parameters and trading method in combination with basic MT4 terminal use.

(speaking from a supportive position directed towards a beginner's best interests).

Thank you for your post Michael.

Thank you.

WhooDoo22:

Michael,

"hedging never gives you an advantage."

I believe hedging positions increases account risk but I do not believe this doesn't mean hedging doesn't provide an advantage. Correct hedging or grid-ding of orders can be profitable based on forward and back tests I've viewed and reviewed in the past.

"In best case it breaks even with the non hedging strategy."

I do not agree, I believe each strategy is unique and provides it's own performance standards. Hedging and grid-ding of orders are simply trading methods.

You can simply try it out. Use very simple rules to modify your grid system. You have always open only one direction, if you want to open a trade in the opposite direction you close the SAME AMOUNT of lots from the open trade pool. Once you have no more open trades you can start opening new trades in the other direction. Thats it. The final result will be better or equal to the original system, but offers some advantages: lower margin used, the resulting graph looks not smooth but it represents the true performance of the system.

Hedging is only pleasure for the eye to make the balance graph running constistently upwards.. Unfortunately equity matters.

"But i fully agree that it should at least be possible to keep hedges, 

I never took the time to investigate why FIFO exists to begin with. I might possibly do a little " web surfin' " to find the cause in the near future and inform the MQL4 forum. ;)

"if they are good for trading beginners is another discussion"

I do not believe trading beginners should trade live to begin with, unless ;) an EA is used and basic knowledge of MT4 terminal use is understood by the beginner

(speaking from a supportive position for a beginner's best interests).

I was also refering to manual trading.. Mostly hedging is only used when a trader sees that the position goes against it and he doesn't know what to do. Since the trade is already over it's risk limit he does not want to realize the loss.

Thank you

I write an answers directly in your quote, i hope it is understandable. You should not belive me, but try it on your own. If you can make a system which works with hedges better than without using the exact same entry/exit logic you would convince me ;)

Michael,

I didn't write my post to convince you to side with my humble opinion. I simply wished to share my thoughts with you :)

What is that expression? "steel sharpens steel". In essence sharing our thoughts with each other can be productive for us and other coders/traders and other members of this forum.

I've wondered why this forum has not been divided into sections. Section 1: "Coding slaves at work" me! (: Hahaha!. This section would be for coders discussing NOTHING but code. Section 2: "coding strategy ideas". This section would be for coders searching for a strategy foundation to code and would discuss ideas with other coders/traders... Section 3. etc. If this was done, the forum would be "filtered" to different coding development aspects. Coders would not need to filter out threads from one big clump AND would know what section to submit their/my their thread :) Just my 2-cents.

Thank you.

Nah, i also want to share my experience, i always was for hedging and i had a few discussions on this forum here. Untill i did a better/deeper testing. I can't find the topic anymore where we had a 7 site long topic about hedging/staticstics..

WhooDoo22:

Michael,

I didn't write my post to convince you to side with my humble opinion. I simply wished to share my thoughts with you :)

What is that expression? "steel sharpens steel". In essence sharing our thoughts with each other can be productive for us and other coders/traders and other members of this forum.

I've wondered why this forum has not been divided into sections. Section 1: "Coding slaves at work" me! (: Hahaha!. This section would be for coders discussing NOTHING but code. Section 2: "coding strategy ideas". This section would be for coders searching for a strategy foundation to code and would discuss ideas with other coders/traders... Section 3. etc. If this was done, the forum would be "filtered" to different coding development aspects. Coders would not need to filter out threads from one big clump AND would know what section to submit their/my their :) Just my 2-cents.

Thank you.

This Forum is just about coding,  forum.mql4.com it could be argued that this thread is off topic and maybe it should deleted  ;-)   if you want to have a discussion about trading strategies then you should go to the general MT4 forum at http://www.metatrader4.com/forum

RaptorUK:
This Forum is just about coding,  forum.mql4.com it could be argued that this thread is off topic and maybe it should deleted  ;-)   if you want to have a discussion about trading strategies then you should go to the general MT4 forum at http://www.metatrader4.com/forum

Simon,

I'm almost tempted enough to hijack this thread for discussion of my own coding thoughts but believe I will refrain out of respect to other members of the MQL4 community forum.

Thank you.
Reason: