Expert Properties - Inputs missing on Windows 7 x64 platform

I have installed recently MT4 Version 4.00 Build 451 on a Window 7 64 bit machine. Strangely enough on this platform when setting expert advisor either to the chart or when placing expert advisor to strategy tester the inputs tab is missing.

I have this same version and build parallel on a windows XP machine and that does not have the same issue.

Inputs tab is missing regardless of what the expert advisor is. So we can see the problem also with sample experts that come together with the installation package.

Procedure to bring up this issue is to:

- set expert advisor to strategy tester

- press expert properties

- only two tabs appear: Testing and optimization, middle tab Inputs is missing

Second procedure is when attaching expert to chart. No inputs tab appear. The same when selecting experts from the chart and properties. Only common tab appears and inputs are missing.

Any help on this is much appreciated. So far I have recompiled experts, I have run MT in compatibility mode with XP SP3 and with Vista SP2. I have run MT4 with administrative privileges. I have also run Windows updates on the system, as this is a new installation and has therefore missed some most recent windows updates.

When searching this issue I have only noticed one similar case reported on MT5, but there was no resolution. That thread was already old from 2011 in another forum.

Kebing:

I have installed recently MT4 Version 4.00 Build 451 on a Window 7 64 bit machine. Strangely enough on this platform when setting expert advisor either to the chart or when placing expert advisor to strategy tester the inputs tab is missing. 

What folder do you have MT4 installed in ?  Maybe you have a UAC issue ?

RaptorUK:
What folder do you have MT4 installed in ?  Maybe you have a UAC issue ?

Thank you for your response.

I have it installed in the default folder. In this case c:\Program Files (x86)\MetaTrader - Alpari UK.

To test this quickly modified one EA and saved it. It ended up in Virtual store. Then launching this EA I have the same behavior. So ity doesn't seem to matter whether the EA comes from virtual store or the original installation folder structure. 

If this would be UAC issue, is there any other way you'd suggest to test it, or workaround ?  

Kebing:

If this would be UAC issue, is there any other way you'd suggest to test it, or workaround ?  

Don't install MT4 in Program Files folders .. .   use something like  C:\MT4-Installs\

RaptorUK:
Don't install MT4 in Program Files folders .. .   use something like  C:\MT4-Installs\

Thanks, so I did clean install in C:\MT4-Installs\MetaTrader - Alpari UK\

When running on this installation and just using the MACD sample EA, the same situation comes up - Expert Properties - inputs tab is missing.

I also changed to run this application with administrative rights and same result.  

To further test this I installed old version 4.00 build 225 to C:\MT4-Installs\MetaTrader - Old Alpari UK and with this version I do get the Expert Properties - inputs tab ! Old version seems to work fine, though I've only verified with strategy tester.

So there must be something between these versions that causes this issue. 

Kebing:

Thanks, so I did clean install in C:\MT4-Installs\MetaTrader - Alpari UK\

When running on this installation and just using the MACD sample EA, the same situation comes up - Expert Properties - inputs tab is missing.

I also changed to run this application with administrative rights and same result.  

Can you post a screen shot of what you have when you attach the EA to a chart . . .

Please see below. This same behavior applies also to custom indicators. So all inputs tabs in the system are missing - from EA's, custom indicators, strategy tester. In standard indicators the comparable tab is called parameters, and that is still visible.

Kebing:

Please see below. This same behavior applies also to custom indicators. So all inputs tabs in the system are missing - from EA's, custom indicators, strategy tester. In standard indicators the comparable tab is called parameters, and that is still visible.

OK,  thanks for the screen shot . . .  I'm sure I have read of someone else having this issue,  lets see what I can find.

RaptorUK:
OK,  thanks for the screen shot . . .  I'm sure I have read of someone else having this issue,  lets see what I can find.

I found the thread I was thinking of,  it wasn't related to your issue.  I have no idea of what is causing your problem,  if I had to guess I would say that maybe you have a problem with some old bits of MT4 in a orphaned directory somewhere . . .  all I could suggest is that you make sure you uninstall all installations of MT4 and manually make sure that you remove the directories where they have been installed.   restart your PC,  do a full Virus scan and then re-install MT4 to a directory outside of Program Files while you have Admin rights . . . .

You might want to raise a query with the service desk (accessed from your MT5 profile),  to do that you will need to register on the MT5 site,  make sure you say your issue is with MT4 and describe it in as much detail as you can and give a link to this thread.

I downloaded MT4 this morning and I am having the exact same problem with the same configurations. I've uninstalled the program and re-installed it in a new folder and still the "input" tab is missing. It is not showing up on EA's or indicators. 
Reason: