Failed to create empty document Error in MT4

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem. I run Win server 2008 16gig Memory and 8 core processor. When i launch more than 86 meta traders on the server, The CPU runs about 10% and memory used is less than 5 gig, But I start to get this error, "Failed to create empty document" in an MT4 message box.

The meta traders are launched by a visual basic application using Process.start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Perhaps the OS is running short of other resources ? how many file handles are open ?

Bremsford:
"Failed to create empty document"

Don't install in \program files * on Vista/Win7

Bremsford:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has come across this problem. I run Win server 2008 16gig Memory and 8 core processor. When i launch more than 86 meta traders on the server, The CPU runs about 10% and memory used is less than 5 gig, But I start to get this error, "Failed to create empty document" in an MT4 message box.

The meta traders are launched by a visual basic application using Process.start.

Do you get the same problem if you run the application normally rather than from a VB script?

WHRoeder:
Don't install in \program files * on Vista/Win7

Hi thanks for the response, all Meta traders are in My documents, I don't think its a permission issue.

RaptorUK:
Perhaps the OS is running short of other resources ? how many file handles are open ?

Hi thanks for the reply, I agree, it seems to be a resources issue, but I have no idea what, We have a trade at 21:30 tonight UK time, I'll message you again after with the number of threads running.

Thanks

Mark

Bremsford:

Hi thanks for the reply, I agree, it seems to be a resources issue, but I have no idea what, We have a trade at 21:30 tonight UK time, I'll message you again after with the number of threads running.

Thanks

Mark

Hi, If I look at task Manager it shows Handles, is that the figure you wanted?, if so last night I ran 60 Meta Traders and had 24000 handles

Thanks

Mark

Bremsford:

Hi, If I look at task Manager it shows Handles, is that the figure you wanted?, if so last night I ran 60 Meta Traders and had 24000 handles

Thanks

Mark

It's not just MT4 you need to be looking at . . . system resources are consumed by anything that runs in the OS.

For example, I was having memory issues on my laptop, it exhibited as a memory leak . . . I finally noticed that my nonpaged pool was over 3GB . . . so the issue was with a device driver. I installed poolmon (from the DDK) and found that "File" was using most of the nonpaged pool . . . so I added the file handles column to Task Manager and found that the software for my track pad had 9 million file handles open . . . in this state running Notepad is not a problem . . . running MT4 could be a problem though and the problem would not have been caused by MT4 but would be more obvious when MT4 was run.

RaptorUK:

It's not just MT4 you need to be looking at . . . system resources are consumed by anything that runs in the OS.

For example, I was having memory issues on my laptop, it exhibited as a memory leak . . . I finally noticed that my nonpaged pool was over 3GB . . . so the issue was with a device driver. I installed poolmon (from the DDK) and found that "File" was using most of the nonpaged pool . . . so I added the file handles column to Task Manager and found that the software for my track pad had 9 million file handles open . . . in this state running Notepad is not a problem . . . running MT4 could be a problem though and the problem would not have been caused by MT4 but would be more obvious when MT4 was run.

Hi a little more info, without meta traders open the directory size of %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp = 183 meg, when I launch Meta traders it goes to 22gig

Bremsford:

Hi a little more info, without meta traders open the directory size of %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp = 183 meg, when I launch Meta traders it goes to 22gig
Yep, that's what you get for installing all these MT4s to an inappropriate directory . . . My Documents is part of the User profile . . . try logging on with a different user and you won't be able to run any of your MT4s . . . unless you have munged the user rights on the Profiles . . .

RaptorUK:
Yep, that's what you get for installing all these MT4s to an inappropriate directory . . . My Documents is part of the User profile . . . try logging on with a different user and you won't be able to run any of your MT4s . . . unless you have munged the user rights on the Profiles . . .
Install them in other directory (like in C:\Trading Platform\ ...), then ... try to launch the manually one by one (LOL) without your VB stuff. MT4 does not create any thing in temp folder, so that must be your VB.
Reason: