OrderSend() slippage parameter, in points or in pips? - page 2

dabbler:
Thank you. I don't think Raptor wanted to believe me and edit/delete his post. Now that you have "made a ruling" he will hopefully see the light!

LOL . . . actually I think WHR was agreeing with me ;-)

But I think we are all in agreement . . . just expressing the same thing from a slightly different peerspective.

dabbler:
You were doing so well until this last line. The units of slippage in the OrderSend are Points. If you put in 1 that means 1 Point; that is what we mean when we state the units.

We know a Point as 0.0001 for EURUSD with 4 digit notation and a Point is 0.00001 for EURUSD on 5 digit notation EURUSD

that value is basically a type 'double' it Slippage might be recalculated to units of Points but the value in the coding is 'int'

Also a Point can be 0.1 0.01 or 0.001 So Slippage is the total of Points but not a Point

RaptorUK:

But I think we are all in agreement . . . just expressing the same thing from a slightly different peerspective.

We are in agreement, now that I have deleted my spurious posts :-)

RaptorUK:

Second. All responders here know what a Point/Pip is. We also understand that it's the Integer-Manifestation of point which is provided to the OrderSend(). I do however side with RaptorUK. IMO, most traders of all-levels would instantly understand what I mean if I said "my slippage cost me 2-pips" then otherwise saying "my slippage cost me 20-points". With the later, the person would still be wondering if I'm talking about 4-digit, 3-digit or 7-digit(if one existed) broker.

:-O I didn't check back on this post for several days as I was busy, and I couldn't have imagined such a discussion starting for such a simply question :D

Anyway, thanks to all who replied, yes obviously it is in points. Like I said, just wanted to make 100% sure!

Happy trading! :)

nanquan:

:-O I didn't check back on this post for several days as I was busy, and I couldn't have imagined such a discussion starting for such a simply question :D

Anyway, thanks to all who replied, yes obviously it is in points. Like I said, just wanted to make 100% sure!

Happy trading! :)

No it is not Points

If you speak about 5 Apples Then 5 is not an apple

deVries:

No it is not Points

If you speak about 5 Apples Then 5 is not an apple

A lot of smartasses on here I see... ¯\_(シ)_/¯

nanquan:
A lot of smartasses on here I see... ¯\_(シ)_/¯
I think it was a comment aimed at clear communication . . . it's very easy to mean one thing and say another and that leads to misunderstanding.

Thanks a lot! :)

dabbler:

"Pip" has been described as "percentage in points" because for a pair with a value around 1.0000 the last digit is 0.01%, one hundredth of a percent. Now bring in 5 digit brokers and this definition still holds but traders now get sub-pip price changes. And you now see spreads of 1.6 pips instead of 2 pips.

https://alpari.com/en/forex-trading/spreads-and-margins.html

Notice how they are all in tenths of a pip resolution. That is what all this "pip to point conversion" is all about. Points are always the smallest movement on FOREX. You just have to stay clear of wretched XAUUSD which moves in 5 point intervals just to be annoying!

When forum veterans post external links to brokers and other sites against forum rules no one opens their mouth but when others do it it becomes advertising, spam etc etc well i got something for you

Reason: