Running 100 MT4 Terminals - page 2

dabbler:

I just tried copying my MT4 directory, but at 7GB that seemed boring as an experiment, so I cut it short.

Even allowing for 10-years history, an MT4 directory should not get anywhere near 7GB.

You probably have a whole bunch of things that could do with spring-cleaning. ;-)

blogzr3:

Even allowing for 10-years history, an MT4 directory should not get anywhere near 7GB.

You probably have a whole bunch of things that could do with spring-cleaning. ;-)

Could be several fxt files . . .

RaptorUK:
Could be several fxt files . . .
Ah yes, every-tick - that could account for it...

blogzr3:
Ah yes, every-tick - that could account for it...

After discounting VPS type scenario (there are good and bad) - I think it ought to be possible using 2 alternative methods - so all up i can see 3 (mostly certain) ways to achieve - but all costing money and programming development time.

If you want to connect 100 then you are probably at the "in theory" level rather than the "have budget" and need solution level.

If your really serious ......... I could try to put a dollar figure on it. Would be useful to understand your needs. ie. client access or not, EA usage, set and forget, need to make changes or monitor, level of reporting and speed of access to each, minor changes between servers, extra checking, possibility to streamline process and avoid excess usage and overhead the need for speed, etc etc etc.

I would need to contact 2 or 3 parties and factor in development time on top etc. etc.

I am in a position where i am progressing in this direction already - given it much thought - ruled out some alternatives - have started both a design phase and a code phase - but have no plans to build something that clients could access.

So it could be that there is little in common between our needs - albeit it similar in nature.

My immediate choice is based upon keeping cost reduced but that is not always the best way to proceed. If one solution is superior to others - sometimes it is best to head straight there.

Whats the project about? anyway if mt4 multi terminal wont do then say we do 4 terminals per processor core per 1 gb ram(256mb ram per terminal) you would need a 25 core processor(core i20 if it will ever exist) and 25 gb ram.

tonny:
Whats the project about? anyway if mt4 multi terminal wont do then say we do 4 terminals per processor core per 1 gb ram(256mb ram per terminal) you would need a 25 core processor(core i20 if it will ever exist) and 25 gb ram.
24 cores and 32 GB RAM is not difficult in one box. AMD do 6 core CPUs and I'm pretty sure there are 4 CPU Server boards available . . .

Alternatively get 5 core i5 or quad core pcs with 5gb ram each and install 20 terminals on each. Also you might wana get a 10gb/s or over internet line.

Well if he got the money there is a solution but switching between 100 terminals would be a problem i wonder what the project is about or he robbed a bank.

tonny:
Well if he got the money there is a solution but switching between 100 terminals would be a problem i wonder what the project is about or he robbed a bank.

Thanks everyone for your ideals and solutions. Robbing a bank is easy, getting away with the heist is the hard part.

This is the hardware that I am thinking of The CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA270 with eight-core AMD FX 8120 CPU (3.1GHz), 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive. Here is how I count the number of terminals: one terminal per forex broker. There are over 100 forex broker; hence, 100 terminals with their on directory and so on. Is there a way that I can minimize the MT4 resources i.e. selecting only the price feed of one currency instead of the forex majors. What else can I strip down on the MT4 terminal?

If that is all your budget allows you might as well not bother . . . you need more RAM, you probably need more CPU but you haven't said what the MT4 installations will be doing so it's impossible to get a good idea of the CPU loading. Even if its just a low intensity EA with a few Indicators if they are pulling more than 1% of CPU you will be in trouble..
Reason: