start() function is not being executed - page 2

qjol:
check if there is some error/message in the journal/experts tab (expert is forbidden ect.)

I checked, no error on expert tab it's just seems to ignore the start() function.

emmett_brown:
No, I am using a demo account in this momment for debugging my EA and it works good, maybe problems with your broker, you have some ticks?

It's possible that it is a problem with my broker I will contact my broker and will ask.

I'm not sure what you mean by ticks? I do see change in the price if that's what you mean

RaptorUK:

You don't call start() . . . it is called when a tick arrives . . . if you have no ticks because you are offline start will not be called.

Try running it in the Strategy tester.

I know you don't call start() I just did it as a test because the function wasn't triggered.

I am online. I checked that

In the Strategy tester it works I see lot's of prints!
What's next?

Do you have a smiley face with your EA name in the top right hand corner of your chart ?

RaptorUK:

Do you have a smiley face with your EA name in the top right hand corner of your chart ?

I see the name of my EA with a small x next to it no smiley faces

What does it mean?

ho, ho press CTRL + E

or click this button

Thank you all so much :)
It works!!!!!!!!!!

RaptorUK:

You don't call start() . . . it is called when a tick arrives . . . if you have no ticks because you are offline start will not be called.

Try running it in the Strategy tester.

Hi RaptorUK

I was looking around to see if anyone had an error like the one I am having which took me to this chain.

I activated an EA in my demo account and start() is not getting called. I have been away for a couple weeks, and after a couple days after activating it, I was surprised because nothing was opening. I started to debug and start() is not getting called. Both init() and deinit() do get called. My first statement in init() is Print("blablabla"), but nothing is getting printed.

The only thing that come to mind is your statement regarding "offline" in this post, and the following.

As I wanted the EA on a 3H chart, a few weeks ago, you advised to use the Period_Converter_Opt to generate a 3H chart. I did that offline as per the instructions.

The 3H charts indicate (Offline) in the header which may be the reason why the 3H chart EA were not getting called, but now I have tried to see if it works on the standard charts, and testing on the 1M chart on the demo account, start() is not getting called either.

If I run Strategy Tester, it does get called and the EA is executed properly.

Any idea what could be the problem?

int init(){
   MessageBox("Hello world\n");

RTM. Message box my not be used in indicator's as it runs in the GUI thread.

init Must return within 2 seconds.

Don't use message box except in EA/start.

Reason: