STRATEGY TESTER- SUPER COMPUTER TO SPEED UP THE TEST

Hi

I am doing some researches in how to speed up the optimization using the mt4 strategy tester.

I come accross this company which build supper computers

http://content.dell.com/us/en/enterprise/hpcc-cray-cx1-iws.aspx

Did some one can have more knoledge if mt4 uses the advantage of multiple cores to speed up the optimization test?

Maybe some better idea for a better computter it will help.

I also talk with trading computers and i was lokking to this computer: http://www.tradingcomputers.com/TC_F-37_general.html

Please replay if you have more ideas how to increase the speed of the optimization.

Also please advice if the mt4 uses the advantage of multiple core. it will help to have a multipe cores computer or now.

THANKS

Research MetaTrader 5.

Hi,

I'm also going to buy a new computer and i'm not sure about the computer can use more than one core. When i do some test i use 100% of core 1 and 20-30% of core 2, of course i'm also using more programs.

this is my patch to use both cores:

1 - Copy & paste your MT4 folder, thus you'll have 2 folders now.

2 - Open a MT4 in every folder and start testing in both programs, then both cores will speed up at 100%

I can't speed up my test, but i can do two test every time, so i'm faster now.

ubzen, can you tell more about mt5? Is it faster? What happen?

Anyway i'll have a 4 cores computer, someone now how to use all my cores in a single test?

I'm learning about mt5. However mt4 cannot take advantage of multi-cores however mt5 can. That much I know.

I been comunicating with several companies which there specialize in computers for traders. Trading Computers is one of this companies

Bellow is what they replay to me when it comes to mt4

Yes MT4 is one of the few pure multi-core multi-thread platforms. This would increase your strategy testing. Another option would be to use a 980X processor on our F-52X. This would use all 6 cores and all 6 threads and this would be the fastest option in terms of crunching all that data. Price in this though is $2700. The same options on the F-25 i7 is $1777.

My question is how can we get in touch with tehnical support from meta trader it self. The company who build this software so they can clearly answer this question.

Hello Pitu

regarding your advise bellow:

this is my patch to use both cores:

1 - Copy & paste your MT4 folder, thus you'll have 2 folders now.

2 - Open a MT4 in every folder and start testing in both programs, then both cores will speed up at 100%

I can't speed up my test, but i can do two test every time, so i'm faster now.

My question is: after you do that and you open 2 platforms for the mt4 DO YOU RUN THE SAME TEST same expert same settings in both mt4 so you can increase the speed for the optimization?

Few months ago i find some were an article were it say the mt4 takes advantage of multiple core only when you use strategy tester but not for trading ec.

So lets get our resources togeter and find this magic question which all try to find:

Did the mt4 strategy tester uses the advantage of multiple cores? If yes are there any trick we have to do to properly set up this tests or you just basicly do the test like you normal do?

thanks

ps this is the computer i elieve i will buy to increase the speed.

I dint decided yet it has 4 cores

Product Name

Unit Price

Qty

Falcon F-37 Trading Computer

$1,969.00

Edition: Phoenix Edition

Included

CPU: Intel Core-i7 @ 4.5GHz (Full Load) / 3.4GHz (idle)

$125.00

Memory: 8GB DDR3 Memory

Included

Video: 4 Monitors Supported - 2x Digital + 2x Analog

Included

OS Drive: 128GB SATA3 Solid State Drive

$159.00

Additional Drive(s): 1.0TB DATA Hard Drive

Included

Hard Drive Backup Software: Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite

Included

Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW CDRW Dual-Layer Burner

Included

Low Noise: Very Low Noise

Included

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Included

Warranty: 3 year Standard

Included

Subtotal:

$2,253.00

Total:

$2,140.35

daytrader111:

I been comunicating with several companies which there specialize in computers for traders. Trading Computers is one of this companies

Yes MT4 is one of the few pure multi-core multi-thread platforms. This would increase your strategy testing. Another option would be to use a 980X processor on our F-52X. This would use all 6 cores and all 6 threads and this would be the fastest option in terms of crunching all that data. Price in this though is $2700. The same options on the F-25 i7 is $1777.

Complete and utter garbage.

I have an i7 CPU, I can assure you that MT4 uses just a single core at any one time . . . if you are buying a new PC the sweet spot in terms of performance for price seems to be the i5 2500K, it is possible to easily overclock it to 4GHz.

When i do that, i use 2 different tests with the same EA, for example one MT4 is testing my strategy for the first 6 months, while the other one is doing the last 6 months of the year. On the other hand i also do a 1 year test if i have to try different configurations for my EA, for example a 15 periods MA in one Mt4 and 20 periods Ma in the other one. I don't know how to use all the cores in the same test, i think it's not possible at all...

I think your computer is really expensive, you just need a good CPU to test, and i'm agree with raptor, you should compare CPU's first:

CPU's: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Overclocked CPU's: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html

In my opinion you should buy i7-2600k or i5-2500k, i want to buy i7-2600k for 261€, i think it's a great fellow worker.

daytrader111:

why must MT4 require all this? for the sake of strategy testing, 6 core processors??? what is behind the deal?

except, unless your EAs are trading HIGHLY profitably to the point of splurging, then by all means, buy an entire F-25 fighter just to trade for you.

Optimize your code. This is the cheapest and best way to improve backtest speed. Skip useless ticks, remove unneeded loops.

RaptorUK:

Complete and utter garbage.

I have an i7 CPU, I can assure you that MT4 uses just a single core at any one time . . . if you are buying a new PC the sweet spot in terms of performance for price seems to be the i5 2500K, it is possible to easily overclock it to 4GHz.

HI

I found this replay in another post from you: "It's most likely to be your CPU . . . look at Task Manager, then processes, sort by CPU so the Process with the highest CPU use is at the top. If you have Hyperthreading enabled your Terminal is going to use a max of around 18% from what I have seen . . . this will be maxing out one core.

It sounds like you are doing an Optimization, if you are optimizing by many parameters then the run time will get long . . ."

My questions is did the hyperthreadind it will help the speed of calculating a optimization for an expert?

If it does i guess the best option is to buy a quad core overlock to 4.5 and hypertreading> Correct?

If the mt4 is not using multiple core ..... how about if i get the qouad core save 4 diferite platforms of mt4 in diferite folders and open them all and do diferite tests for diferite expert!!! Did the cpu it will run with 4.5 for each of this platforms or it will be only 1.( and little) for each platform?

thanks

Reason: