Another new guy

Hey guys, I'm Rob. You might know me from other sites like Hot Stock Market, Forex Factory, and Informed Trades. I've been lurking here for a little bit and decided to go ahead and introduce myself. I've recently become interested in learning to create my own indicators in MT4. I've been trading for a couple years now and my TA skills are pretty sharp, so I have that going for me, which is nice. LOL Anyway I downloaded the book titled MQL4 Manual, and the other book by S. Kovalyov, a bunch of other tutorials and lessons I found on some obscure site that were available for download, and I also bought the book Expert Advisor Programming: Creating Automated Trading Systems in MQL4 for MetaTrader 4 by Andrew R. Young off of Amazon.com. So I think I'm set as far as learning resources go, now I just need to sit down and not only read, but comprehend everything too. LOL I have no programming experience, though in high school I did learn HTML and was quite good at it (That was back when the only way to create websites was to manually type the HTML. You know, all the way back in the 90's. LOL). Anyway if anyone has any useful pointers or nuggets of wisdom I'm all ears. I might ask a lot of seemingly stupid questions at first, but once it starts to click I'll be pretty self-sufficient. That's usually how things go with me... Slow start, but then everything starts to snowball and build momentum.

A little about me (if you care LOL) I live in Hawaii, I've played guitar for almost 20 years, I listen to heavy music, some punk, and classic rock, I like pizza, and I have a good sense of humor. I did 4 years in the air force as a firefighter/EMT which was a blast, 2 years were in Germany at Ramstein Air Base. I also dabble in PC games some times, mainly the Total War games if I truly have nothing else to do.

Anyway glad to be here!

-Rob

Well welcome Rob. I would provide more information about myself but I removed my profile about-me during an update and got too lazy to re-type the updated version. I've been at forex since last May. My background is in Risk-Taking, that sorta made me think Forex was a good next step, so-far-so good. I've never created a full indicator yet but I've done a ton of EA's with others indicators I've found online. I'm sure your experience will be welcomed around here (especially if you become good with indicators). At the moment I'm hocked on mql4.com hope you find the site useful.

Read, look at the code base, ask question, understand. Once you get there, try looking at Why is there NO Complete EA within the Code-Base?

Thanks for the welcome, and advice. I already downloaded your EA for future reference. I think I've formed a plan for learning. I'm going through some of the tutorials I downloaded since they're targeted towards complete noobs, so once I have a good understanding of the material they are teaching then I will start reading the books. I think having a semi-solid footing, even at the most basic level, will help tremendously in my understanding of the text in the books. Right now my immediate goal is to build a shed with the most basic information, then I will work on building a house, then a mansion, and finally a sky scraper. Metaphorically speaking of course.
Reason: