Any backward-compatibility MT4 issues reported between build 229 and build 399?

We have a large EA that has worked fine for the past year without concern for build versions of MT4. As of build 399, an EX4 compiled in 399 crashes the terminal when run in 229, but a recompile of the identical source under 229 works fine. Are there known issues involved here? This could become a right pain before the transition to MT5 is complete -- we need to distribute different versions of the executable to clients depending upon their MT4 builds.

With computers, 'backwards compatibility' usually means 'old pgms work on later platforms' rather than 'new pgms work on older platforms'

Does the ex4 from MT4 build 229 work on MT4 399?

If so, then that decides your plan.

Thanks Brewmanz. I was not actually looking for a plan -- what I was after was an indication that this might be a known problem that would be addressed in the near future. If it is not, then we need to become 'build-conscious' whereas in the past compiler-versions produced EX4 executables that worked both forwards and backwards without issue [ to the best of my knowledge ]. From other programming environments, I assumed that the latest build of any compiler should be an improvement on its predecessor.

Ballenoz your question should be Is Mt4 forwards compatible but I don't think anybody could tell you the answer because nobody would expect new compiled code to run on old systems it just isn't done.

Eh Ruptor... I believe build 229 is the LATEST release of MT4 from Alpari UK. You consider THAT an old system? If Microsoft did the same thing with compilers in their developer environment, all hell would break loose. A compiler upgrade is generally done to improve performance or fix problems, not to intentionally change functionality unless absolutely necessary. I could find no suggestion that intentional changes were made that might have caused the incompatibility mentioned for these builds.

REPEAT -- my aim was to find out if the developers knew of this difference in output from slightly different compiler versions currently in use. Perhaps I should have posted this more directly to the developers. Very sorry -- the subject should have read "Any MT4 Compiler COMPATIBILITY Issues...", but I thought the content explained exactly what the problem was.

Difference in output?

I do notice that some behaviors of offline indicators is correct in build 229 while incorrect in build 399...

Does anyone know how to get back to build 229?? This build 399 is dragging my PC performance down when using offline charts. The last two demo signed up for loaded 399 directly.

Greeting everybody.

With the new version I cannot test EAs. Before they worked fine.

Usually they contain custom indicators.

I have Windows 7, 64 bits operating system.

I would really appreciate any suggestion.

Just to add some fuel to this thread - I am also having continual crashes on EA's and custom indicators that have worked well under previous releases but freeze the terminal under build 399.

There must be a problem with this build and I suggest MT roll back to a previous stable version .

Looks like the same problem exists with the new build-401. Where is the best place to talk directly with MQ developers and track bug fixes?

ballenoz:
We have a large EA that has worked fine for the past year without concern for build versions of MT4. As of build 399, an EX4 compiled in 399 crashes the terminal when run in 229, but a recompile of the identical source under 229 works fine. Are there known issues involved here? This could become a right pain before the transition to MT5 is complete -- we need to distribute different versions of the executable to clients depending upon their MT4 builds.

Thanks you for the post.

Reason: