Old tick disturb my ea

Hi,

I red most of the thread on this subject, and i found no solution for this problem ! (some says that it has no effect, but it has, or i'm not understanding something..)

My ea is a high frequency trader so it takes a lot of trades, but the las two days i have several errors in journal (old tick, data connection failed, ping failed...), and not a single trade since then !

(i have no error regarding the ea, it trades for 6 month and no problems, except this one)

An old tick can stop the start() function ? and how ?

Thanks for the help !

in my opinion old tick is not the problem if u do have a problem it's in the other thing u mention ("data connection failed, ping failed...")

Put some Print()s into your EA to get report about all it's actions and you'll understand what is effecting and how exactly.

qjol:

in my opinion old tick is not the problem if u do have a problem it's in the other thing u mention ("data connection failed, ping failed...")

that does not explain why the ea won't take trades, this events occurs only on a short period, and i have no trades for two days....

hasayama:

Put some Print()s into your EA to get report about all it's actions and you'll understand what is effecting and how exactly.

i have no error, so what the point ?

and this kind of error are rare but very dangerous for a live account, i can't afford to wait for a new error ...

as i said u probably have connection problems

as u mention ("data connection failed, ping failed...")

qjol:

as i said u probably have connection problems

as u mention ("data connection failed, ping failed...")

it was my first though, but the account log in after the problem, th ea should take trades ?! and it does not....

I'm not talking about errors. Your EA has some algorithm in it, doesn't it? So, print each step to locate the bug.

I've met EAs that have smth like:

if ( error != 0 ) { return; }

And you'll never know where the error is, cuz you have no comments about it.

Plus, if you think that the problem is in "old ticks", you'll see how EA works with them too.

hasayama:

I'm not talking about errors. Your EA has some algorithm in it, doesn't it? So, print each step to locate the bug.

I've met EAs that have smth like:

And you'll never know where the error is, cuz you have no comments about it.

Plus, if you think that the problem is in "old ticks", you'll see how EA works with them too.

Thanks for the idea, but the EA is in test for 6 month now, and no problem so far...

so we can assume that the errors is the old ticks or the bad connection, and if this is it, how to reboot the EA, so it can trade, because right now it's stopped....

Take it off chart... place it on chart... check inputs... press OK.

Still, there can be issues that haven't triggered before but now they influence the EA.

Don't be lazy, debug and debug=) It might be very helpful and surprising.

I bet, that all the time that you wasted here on forum could bring a result if used for testing the EA.

victor21:

Thanks for the idea, but the EA is in test for 6 month now, and no problem so far...

so we can assume [...]

No.

From that alone we cannot assume anything. This is not how systematic debugging works.

You are experiencing a bug that has never appeared before in 6 months but now it happens. And it coincides with some messages about "old ticks" in the log that are usually known to be harmless. This is all we know by now! There is NOTHING that tells you the one causes the other. Maybe they are both only symptoms of something completely different, WHO KNOWS? Nobody knows until you find the bug. You cannot simply assume some things out of thin air before you know what exactly is going on. This will only hinder your debugging.

And even if it were the case that these "old ticks" is somehow related you still do not know where exactly it fails, what is the exact mechanism by what the EA is offended by these "old ticks".

You have to insert Print() statements in every relevant place in your EA to track exactly what is going on step by step to see what happens when these errors occur and where exactly the EA is failing. You have to track everything from the beginning of start() until the OrderSend() to determine at which point it fails and to eliminate this bug in your EA.

Reason: