Error 130 Please help - page 2

jjc, I like the way you express the logic around dealing with failed modify calls. I'd like us to promote this sort of thinking in the forum, rather than primarily focusing on culling the negative stuff.

Just a couple of points I'd add to jjc's:

- Persisting the client-side stoploss during a system restart is not difficult at all to achieve. I think the main issue is the fact that there could be a system restart at all, or a comms drop etc. This is something which can't be as easily mitigated and therefore must be factored into your risk assessment.

- To be fair to Boston Technologies, their bridge is not the only scenario which imposes the "must open order first and then modify stops" situation.

CB

cloudbreaker:

- Persisting the client-side stoploss during a system restart is not difficult at all to achieve. I think the main issue is the fact that there could be a system restart at all, or a comms drop etc. This is something which can't be as easily mitigated and therefore must be factored into your risk assessment.

The complications I referred to before were indeed more to do with disaster-recovery than the storage of such client-side data on disk.

More explicitly, holding client-side data rather than relying on the broker's server opens a range of possible scenarios such as a power outage in a VPS datacenter, corruption of a VPS node etc. There are two related scenarios which you at least need to consider:

• A significant outage of your trading computer, e.g. because of a router failure or a power outage. Do you have a recent backup of whatever client-side file holds the s/l data? If not, can you safely resume trading from another computer if you need to?
  • Disk corruption on the trading computer (particularly including SAN corruption on a VPS node). There's a chance that, when the trading computer comes back online, the client-side data will be missing or out of date. Same issues about needing a backup, or the ability to reconstruct the client-side data, or the ability to continue trading without this client-side data.

Thank you both engcomp and jjc for the sample, and the great advise, and everyone else who provided any helpful comment. Obviously you can tell I just started coding and have a long way to implement all the risk management scenarios you advised, but they are great points, and appreciate you guys bring them up.

Do you guys know any MT4 broker who does allow sl & tp on market order?

As jjc mentioned it would be much easier to deal with errors this way.

Which Brokers do you trade with? or recommend?

andybaa:

Do you guys know any MT4 broker who does allow sl & tp on market order?

Not recommending anyone, but examples of brokers who do allow the s/l and t/p on a market order: Alpari, Forex.com, FXDD, FXOpen (non-ECN accounts), IBFX, Instaforex, FXPro, and Tadawul.

Examples of brokers who don't allow an s/l or t/p on market orders: Broco, CMS, FXCM, FXOpen (ECN accounts), Go Markets, MB Trading, MIG, and NordMarkets.

(There are hundreds of other examples in both categories.)

Thanks for the useful list, Jjc. Will save a lot of research.

jjc:

Not recommending anyone, but examples of brokers who do allow the s/l and t/p on a market order: Alpari, Forex.com, FXDD, FXOpen (non-ECN accounts), IBFX, Instaforex, FXPro, and Tadawul.

Examples of brokers who don't allow an s/l or t/p on market orders: Broco, CMS, FXCM, FXOpen (ECN accounts), Go Markets, MB Trading, MIG, and NordMarkets.

(There are hundreds of other examples in both categories.)

Just to make a minor correction - probably won't impact your strategy.

MIG Bank currently DO allow stops to be set in the order send on LIVE accounts, but have recently stopped this on DEMO accounts and I believe this will soon be implemented in their LIVE accounts too.

CB

cloudbreaker:

Just to make a minor correction - probably won't impact your strategy.

MIG Bank currently DO allow stops to be set in the order send on LIVE accounts, but have recently stopped this on DEMO accounts and I believe this will soon be implemented in their LIVE accounts too.

CB

Thanks CB, do you guys know why do they do that?

What is the reason some brokers don't allow sl & tp on market order?

What are the pros and cons for them vs. brokers who do allow it?

It is one of the impacts of taking what is a retail market platform and interconnecting it to the institutional market.

When interconnecting different standards we end up with a subset of functionality - a lowest common denominator if you like.

CB

Reason: