Appointment of Social Moderators

Every day, tens of thousands of unique users visit our forum, and we don't always manage to respond to violations of the Rules of MQL5.community. That's why we decided to improve our forum by introducing the status of a social moderator.

We hope you'll like the candidates whom we've selected for this post:

Hope, such Moderator rights will not be a burden for them. All other forum members can help them by posting violation reports right in this topic.

Cool---Nice Bunch 8)

Rosh:

[...] the Rules of MQL5.community.

With significant emphasis in advance on the fact that none of this is a personal attack or criticism...

A. Given the rules, why are discussions of brokers not allowed? I am not actually keen for the forum to get littered with "which broker is the best?" questions, but it must occasionally be pertinent to discussion of automated trading. For example, there has been plenty of discussion (by cloudbreaker, among others) of the virtues of different bridge technologies (e.g. Boston Technologies versus Gold-i), and that is implicitly a discussion of the merits of different brokers.

B. What exactly are the rules on advertising? Taking BB as an example, he has often posted links to the resources on his www.selectfx.net site. These are always very useful. But they are also an advert for his EAs and programming services.

jjc:

B. What exactly are the rules on advertising? Taking BB as an example, he has often posted links to the resources on his www.selectfx.net site. These are always very useful. But they are also an advert for his EAs and programming services.

IMHO it is a balancing act... I do now actually ban myself from some threads because of possible perceived conflict of interest!
Pure commercial SPAM with no significant prior forum contribution would be out
If we ban anyone with a connection (eg an email domain) that is associated with commercial activity, we will lose many contributors
After all MT is promoting itself here, seeks to boost MQL uptake and has a slot in each Members profile for a website link
So in that spirit, I suggest a per case basis should be used

-BB-

all three of them get my vote, id take this oppertunity to thank them all for so much help they have given me since i joined this forum, in replies to my questions and other peoples.

SDC

You're very welcome - good to know it has made a difference :)

I too am indebted to some of the old guard who put up with my early posts many years ago!

-BB-

BarrowBoy:

IMHO it is a balancing act... I do now actually ban myself from some threads because of possible perceived conflict of interest!
Pure commercial SPAM with no significant prior forum contribution would be out
If we ban anyone with a connection (eg an email domain) that is associated with commercial activity, we will lose many contributors
After all MT is promoting itself here, seeks to boost MQL uptake and has a slot in each Members profile for a website link
So in that spirit, I suggest a per case basis should be used

You might save yourself some grief as a moderator if there are slightly clearer rules which you can point people towards. You'll obviously still have to clean up the crudest commercial spam, but you might cut your own workload by posting some guidelines in advance. Some example cases for the per-case basis:

1. Posts which are selling EAs or managed-account services (or even phones, clothes etc etc etc)
2. Commercial posts which are relevant to building automated systems rather than buying them, e.g. anything from Molanis (*)
3. Posts about commercial services which, irrationally, people tend to treat as an exception. I'm thinking here particularly of books. Like the one which MetaQuotes themselves posted an advert for.
4. Posts which many people will find informative, e.g. links to a useful book on Amazon, but where the poster is using an affiliate link to make money.
5. Posts from people offering to build EAs (and what about if they offer to do it for free?)
6. Posts from people offering to pay to have an EA built
7. Posts about services which are advertising-funded
8. Posts about services which are free, but which are a lead-in to other non-free products

and...

9. The particular crux - and I'm thinking here of all the Forex Robot World Cup nonsense - is posts which are ostensibly from outsiders, but which in reality are just advertising masquerading as third-party comment and questions. Are you going to ban any discussion of commercial services, even if it's not provably advertising by the service provider?

* I've never tried out the Molanis product, and don't personally have any interest in doing so. However, in principle, the fee for their Pro package potentially isn't a crazy amount of money to spend on a sort of MQ4 tutorial, if you're serious about getting into MQ4 programming and don't have relevant prior experience. You create EAs using their drag-and-drop, and then learn the language by inspecting how your diagram translates into MQ4 source code.

I agree with jjc, we need clearly defined acceptable/unacceptable lines drawn in the sand regarding the manner of activities laid out above.

I'm also particularly interested in the "when does mentioning a broker cross the line" clarification.

jjc:

[...] but you might cut your own workload by posting some guidelines in advance.

Well we are supposed to be 'social moderators' so I think it's up to all of us (I mean this whole community and not just the moderators). We can use this thread to outline these guidelines... I have my own opinions... But really got to go now. Later.

jjc:

You might save yourself some grief as a moderator if there are slightly clearer rules which you can point people towards. You'll obviously still have to clean up the crudest commercial spam, but you might cut your own workload by posting some guidelines in advance. Some example cases for the per-case basis:

1. Posts which are selling EAs or managed-account services (or even phones, clothes etc etc etc)
2. Commercial posts which are relevant to building automated systems rather than buying them, e.g. anything from Molanis (*)
3. Posts about commercial services which, irrationally, people tend to treat as an exception. I'm thinking here particularly of books. Like the one which MetaQuotes themselves posted an advert for.
4. Posts which many people will find informative, e.g. links to a useful book on Amazon, but where the poster is using an affiliate link to make money.
5. Posts from people offering to build EAs (and what about if they offer to do it for free?)
6. Posts from people offering to pay to have an EA built
7. Posts about services which are advertising-funded
8. Posts about services which are free, but which are a lead-in to other non-free products

and...

9. The particular crux - and I'm thinking here of all the Forex Robot World Cup nonsense - is posts which are ostensibly from outsiders, but which in reality are just advertising masquerading as third-party comment and questions. Are you going to ban any discussion of commercial services, even if it's not provably advertising by the service provider?

* I've never tried out the Molanis product, and don't personally have any interest in doing so. However, in principle, the fee for their Pro package potentially isn't a crazy amount of money to spend on a sort of MQ4 tutorial, if you're serious about getting into MQ4 programming and don't have relevant prior experience. You create EAs using their drag-and-drop, and then learn the language by inspecting how your diagram translates into MQ4 source code.

mql5.com has a special section for people who wish to offer their programming services for a fee and those wishing to purchase those services, maybe mql4.com could have something simalar

SDC:

mql5.com has a special section for people who wish to offer their programming services for a fee and those wishing to purchase those services, maybe mql4.com could have something simalar
That section in MQL5.com is intended for use for both MQL4 and MQL5 programming... See here -> https://forum.mql4.com/32974#336831.
Reason: