NEW EA - NEED ADVICE

Hi Guys,

I have just completed an EA and the result of the back testing looks OK. Can the experienced (EA) traders in this forum please comment/advice on what additional thing I should do before switching the EA on my live account?

It is a trend following strategy and the equity curve & report on EURUSD Jan - May 2010 is pasted below.

supa

https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/126109 ;) wanna trade ea's 8-)

First of all, your modeling quality is not available. The whole report should be thrown in the garbage.

Anyway, I got some real good tips.

We all should know by now that Greece is having problem and the possibilty for EURO to be 1.00 with USD is really real.

If this is the case, then SHORTING the EURO is the best idea ever!

Now, the smartest idea ever is to figure what EURO pairs to short such as EURUSD or EURGBP.

Shorting the EURUSD is good. However, shorting on the EURGBP is even better! As of now, GBP is the strongest currency.

Regardless, you make the final decision. And make sure to keep good money management. Happy trading to all.

I also noticed that your test report is only on open prices.

Unless you intend to trade open prices only, your EA and graph report is possibly void.

Do you see what's happening to the EUR/USD on that bad employment news from the US? There I was thinking the EUR and USD would be 1:1 Soon. Now that I think about it, thats why I'm not a fundamental trader -Right on Direction but Wrong on Timing.

To the poster, I recommend you demo your strategy first before putting on live trades. If you don't have the patience for that, then I'll recommend extending the Test Period for as long as you can. Lastly, I'll recommend testing on Tick (I hear its not perfect either) Data which yield a 90% modeling quality.

Woops, wait a second - Don't even bother trading it. It trades only in one direction. Try testing it from 1999-Now and see what happens. 

ubzen wrote >>

Do you see what's happening to the EUR/USD on that bad employment news from the US? There I was thinking the EUR and USD would be 1:1 Soon. Now that I think about it, thats why I'm not a fundamental trader -Right on Direction but Wrong on Timing.

To the poster, I recommend you demo your strategy first before putting on live trades. If you don't have the patience for that, then I'll recommend extending the Test Period for as long as you can. Lastly, I'll recommend testing on Tick (I hear its not perfect either) Data which yield a 90% modeling quality.

And that is why I suggest shorting EUR/GBP instead because GBP is the strongest currency. And of course, short when the timing becomes right. I did not say in one minute, in one hour, or in a day. Be sensible with common sense.

ckingher:

First of all, your modeling quality is not available. The whole report should be thrown in the garbage.

Anyway, I got some real good tips.

We all should know by now that Greece is having problem and the possibilty for EURO to be 1.00 with USD is really real.

If this is the case, then SHORTING the EURO is the best idea ever!

Now, the smartest idea ever is to figure what EURO pairs to short such as EURUSD or EURGBP.

Shorting the EURUSD is good. However, shorting on the EURGBP is even better! As of now, GBP is the strongest currency.

Regardless, you make the final decision. And make sure to keep good money management. Happy trading to all.

ckingher - thanks, pls are you able to walk me through how to set/get the modelling quality?

1901:

ckingher - thanks, pls are you able to walk me through how to set/get the modelling quality?
There are many tutorials online.

gordon:
There are many tutorials online.

gordon - thanks.

I also discovered that my strategy tester takes a very long time to complete and been wondering why!! Will the separate installation of MT4 and downloading data for testing in offline mode solve this speed problem? In addition, does anybody knows where to download the history data as it appears alpari's data is no longer available for download? How do I know that a gap exists in the history center - is it by the white rectangles I circled below?

The experienced guys should please guide!!

OK guys - I have seen that the data are all there in the history data. My strategy back testing is running too slow. Does anybody knows how the speed of testing can be improved?

thanks in advance of your suggestions.

Supa

ubzen:

Woops, wait a second - Don't even bother trading it. It trades only in one direction. Try testing it from 1999-Now and see what happens.

How true!

1901:

I also discovered that my strategy tester takes a very long time to complete and been wondering why!!

Optimize your code.

Will the separate installation of MT4 and downloading data for testing in offline mode solve this speed problem?

Nope. There are other reasons for doing that.

In addition, does anybody knows where to download the history data as it appears alpari's data is no longer available for download?

Has been answered many times. Search!

How do I know that a gap exists in the history center - is it by the white rectangles I circled below?

No... You need a script for that. There are a few floating around the forum. Search!

Reason: