Mql5 programming language - wheel reinvented?

I've been playing around with mql5, and it looks to me like a very poor version of C++. So I was wondering, why reinvent the wheel and rebuild "C++"? I believe that designing and conceiving a new programming language is a long and painful error prone process. C++ could have been used directly through some exposed API.
Or even better, metatrader could have been rewritten in .NET and a simple bullet proof API could have been exposed for EA developers. C# is really a high level, mature, very advanced and very elegant programming language, ages away in the future comparing to mql5. Mql5 existence doesn't make much sense to me.

portability? or rather they are trying to engineer/design-in a lack thereof? Who wants to build a platform that doesn't ensure a certain degree of creating a captive audience? This ain't charity work folks.

That post you linked was a good read gordon, thanks for revisiting it for those of us who didn't catch it the first time around. I think you were spot-on with your opinion.

Reason: