EA and chart data

Hi,

I am using an MT4 using ibfx as my broker.

The data at xe.com seems a little different.

My eurusd trade would have been closed if the data was that of xe.com.

I am asking therefore your opinion or your knowledge on these differences in data feed.

For sure, it makes the EA perform differently.

Is there anything on this like, there is a more reliable, more popular source of data?

I am just worried, as, failing to close a trade on time is a serious matter. It makes the EA useless if the data is wrong.

Hoping for your ideas.

jcadong5:

Hi,

I am using an MT4 using ibfx as my broker.

The data at xe.com seems a little different.

My eurusd trade would have been closed if the data was that of xe.com.

I am asking therefore your opinion or your knowledge on these differences in data feed.

For sure, it makes the EA perform differently.

Is there anything on this like, there is a more reliable, more popular source of data?

I am just worried, as, failing to close a trade on time is a serious matter. It makes the EA useless if the data is wrong.

Hoping for your ideas.

xe.com is an indicative date feed (average of many sources) as well as having no spread (the price is an average of bid and ask), while your broker's feed is non-indicative and has spread. All broker data feeds have variations between them and it's normal.

Some EA's might perform better/worse with certain data feeds while others are less sensitive to different data feeds. There are other broker's characteristics which affect EA performance beside the data feed, such as slippage/no-slippage control, execution time, re-quote policy, stoplevel and other limitations, etc.

gordon wrote >>

xe.com is an indicative date feed (average of many sources) as well as having no spread (the price is an average of bid and ask), while your broker's feed is non-indicative and has spread. All broker data feeds have variations between them and it's normal.

Some EA's might perform better/worse with certain data feeds while others are less sensitive to different data feeds. There are other broker's characteristics which affect EA performance beside the data feed, such as slippage/no-slippage control, execution time, re-quote policy, stoplevel and other limitations, etc.

I am hoping that if we stick to one (broker) data feed source all through out, it will give the EA a good relative view (depends also on computations and indicator signals used by EA) of the real activity.

[edited:'(depends also on computations and indicator signals used by EA)']

jcadong5:

I am hoping that if we stick to one (broker) data feed source all through out, it will give the EA a good relative view of the real activity.

The "real activity"...? If at a certain point of time 5 brokers give 5 slightly different prices, who's to say what's the "real" price?

Reason: