[Strategy Tester] execution speed slowing down exponentially while backtesting an EA

Has anyone found out, what it is that's slowing down the strategy tester?

On the one hand I have rather complex EAs that I can backtest in around 10 sec / month. Some other EAs really slow down the strategy tester exponentially and take >1 min/month. I haven't yet ofund out what it is: RAM usage stays on a constant level so it's not a memory leak then.

Much depends on what is being done & when

Do some evaluate open or close only on first tick of a bar and others check each tick?

Is something being done ecah tick that you think is once per bar?

Do some have 'indicator code' in the EA & others sub the code to an external indicator?

These are the most common things I see with 'slow' EA's..

FWIW

-BB-

99.9% of the time, it is due to inefficient code.

As for the remainder, I'm not sure :)

int init() {
  if ( IsTesting() && !IsVisualMode() ) { Show.Objects	= false;	// test
					  Show.Comments	= false;	}
  //...
}
//...
	if (Show.Comments) {
		Comment(//...

Backtest performance will be especially hampered if there is logic performed with each tick such as:

- repetitive logic eg. looping logic through order history

- logic with latency eg. file access, dll access

- heavyweight logic eg. complex calculations with many variables

- poorly written logic

Depending upon your EA, it can make sense to create a LIVE and TEST mode, configurable by an extern variable, in order to allow certain functionality to be bypassed for strategy tester runs.

CB

BB/WHRoeder/CB: Thank you for your support.

My reference time was 62 seconds for 1 month in the backtest.

What I've found out this afternoon:

- deleted unused code (code that will never be executed) --> -2 sec

- deactivated all kinds of graphical objects --> -3 sec

- added an exit at the very beginning when I can be sure that there's "nothing to do" on this tick --> -12 sec

- removed some unneccessary function calls --> -4 sec

- (don't know if that's correct english:) I've interleaved connected boolean operators --> -4 sec

--> all in all i nearly doubled the performance

what I've found out: MQL does not handle connected boolean operators like i.e. Java.

example:

if (cond1 && cond2 && cond3...)

--> all conditions will be checked, even if cond1 is false

so what I did is this:

if (cond1) {

if (cond2) {

and so on ...

}

}

ugly, but so is MQL...

also unnecessary function calls are able to reduce the execution speed significantly- I always underestimated this fact. but again, it's MQL...

I can confirm this if the second condition is a function call, the function is called. However, I haven't seen

v!=0 && x/v...

Reason: