issue on firewall, router, etc.? chart not updating, connection terminating

Hi,

My EURUSD H1 chart is not getting updated.

The terminal 'Expert Advisor' tabs shows items like:

Ping failed.

Not connected.

Login.

I am connected through a router.

Quite too general info here, but anyone experience same thing?

Im on ibfx mt4 mini-4. On win 7 64-bit.

I will appreciate any ideas.

jcadong5:

I will appreciate any ideas.

Check the bottom right hand side of the terminal. The upper triangle must be green to be connected (red if u r not). If it's not, press on the triangles and choose 'Rescan servers' from the popup. Wait a few minutes. Still not connected, try manually choosing a different server from the popup (there should be a list of all available servers). Wait a few minutes before retries. Still not connected, try to manually re-login by choosing 'Login' from the popup.

Win 7 64bit should work fine. Routers are usually not a problem, since MetaTrader 4 uses port 443 which is open by default on all routers (for https, ssl, etc...). U can check this out for more info -> MetaTrader 4 Working under Antiviruses and Firewalls

gordon wrote >>

Check the bottom right hand side of the terminal. The upper triangle must be green to be connected (red if u r not). If it's not, press on the triangles and choose 'Rescan servers' from the popup. Wait a few minutes. Still not connected, try manually choosing a different server from the popup (there should be a list of all available servers). Wait a few minutes before retries. Still not connected, try to manually re-login by choosing 'Login' from the popup.

Win 7 64bit should work fine. Routers are usually not a problem, since MetaTrader 4 uses port 443 which is open by default on all routers (for https, ssl, etc...). U can check this out for more info -> MetaTrader 4 Working under Antiviruses and Firewalls

RE:Check the bottom right hand side of the terminal. The upper triangle must be green to be connected (red if u r not). If it's not, press on the triangles and choose 'Rescan servers' from the popup. Wait a few minutes. Still not connected, try manually choosing a different server from the popup (there should be a list of all available servers). Wait a few minutes before retries. Still not connected, try to manually re-login by choosing 'Login' from the popup.

The problem is, it can happen when Im not around. It is my real-money-trading pc using EA. I want to leave it 24/7 and hopefully do minor regular maintenance only, setup-wise.

I will check further and share findings. Thanks.

jcadong5:

RE:Check the bottom right hand side of the terminal. The upper triangle must be green to be connected (red if u r not). If it's not, press on the triangles and choose 'Rescan servers' from the popup. Wait a few minutes. Still not connected, try manually choosing a different server from the popup (there should be a list of all available servers). Wait a few minutes before retries. Still not connected, try to manually re-login by choosing 'Login' from the popup.

The problem is, it can happen when Im not around. It is my real-money-trading pc using EA. I want to leave it 24/7 and hopefully do minor regular maintenance only, setup-wise.

I will check further and share findings. Thanks.

From my own experience, if u have a bad internet connection to the server (bad latency + many internet drops on your side), then eventually there will come a time when a disconnection will remain permanent. This might be accompanied by one of the following errors in the journal: 'DataCenter connecting failed [6]', 'unknown command C6' (see -> https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/118546).

But if you have low latency to the server and a relatively stable internet connection, then any disconnections will sort out in ~seconds (rarely up to a few minutes) without intervention.

gordon wrote >>

From my own experience, if u have a bad internet connection to the server (bad latency + many internet drops on your side), then eventually there will come a time when a disconnection will remain permanent. This might be accompanied by one of the following errors in the journal: 'DataCenter connecting failed [6]', 'unknown command C6' (see -> https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/118546).

But if you have low latency to the server and a relatively stable internet connection, then any disconnections will sort out in ~seconds (rarely up to a few minutes) without intervention.

Thanks for the replies.

Apparently, this new desktop I just got last week is like a laptop which have a setting on 'suspending everything if idle for a certain amount of time'. it was set to 15 minutes and that makes the pc 'sleep'.

Reason: