OrderSelect() and ticket behavior - ascending/descending? - page 2

gordon:
Hmmm... I haven't read much about MT5 yet, but I'm curious why u think it's a step back? From what I have read the language is object oriented, 20 times faster and comes with a real debugger (finally!). Are u talking about a step back from the perspective of platform features and abilities or is the language itself a step back?

Gordon, Read my earlier post as I was editing as you were asking.... but in general...MT5 has NO back compatibility with MT4 and no Hedge...My, and many others, profits come from Hedge...so MT5 is worthless...we don't trade gold, stocks or corn...or whatever......WE TRADE CURRENCY.... Metaquotes has forgotten this basic...and have put us currency traders at a SIGNIFICANT loss / disadvantage in order for them to offer these additional worthless instruments...Our loss will be their loss as we look for other platforms when Metaquotes doesn't meet our best interests / needs....Hope they wake up before another platform takes their place....

Back to your original question...I've had success with "0".......OrderSelect(0,SELECT_BY_POS)

I have decided to go the long way and loop on all orders since there is no guarantee that OrderSelect(0,SELECT_BY_POS) would consistently select the order with the earliest open time, although I have not found one case where it didn't. It's not a big deal anyway...

Regarding MT5 - personally I don't c the lack of backward compatibility a big disadvantage as long as the language goes a long way forward, like the jump from C to C++ for example. I know that 'most' programs in C would compile in C++ (although NOT all of them), but I don't know many people that take C code, switch to C++ and just continue editing the code. They would usually re-write the whole thing anyway, cause the differences between the languages is such that you are better of writing the whole thing in C++ to take advantage of it's features, otherwise why switch to C++ anyway.

I am sure most brokers would still support MT4 for a long time, so I'm just going to write new EA's in MT5 and use my old ones on MT4. And if I do that then I can change their logic to be compatible with a no hedging environment, although I too would much rather have hedging allowed. But I won't be surprised if in a few months ALL brokers would have to comply to a no hedging rule and not just in the US. It seems to be the direction the market's going to.

just keep in mind that, to my knowledge, OrderSelect() starts its indexing from 1, and not 0.

so the eldest trade would be that of index 1.

Wasseem

wasseem:

just keep in mind that, to my knowledge, OrderSelect() starts its indexing from 1, and not 0.

Wasseem

Why are you replying to a 2 year old post ? with incorrect information ?

wasseem:

Wasseem

Reason: