MT4 or MT5 - page 2

Miroslav_Popov:

The big advantage of MT5 against MT4 is the ability of changing the amount of the position. This allows averaging (adding, reducing) of the existing position.

In MT4 is necessary to deal with multiple positions to do so.

If the dev. team add averaging to MT4 would be great. And probably an option "Allow hedging" for the NFA brokers.

Why not MT5 to port and execute MQL4 programs???? That should be the top priority for Metaquotes.

Imagine if Microsoft has developed an OS that isn't able to execute any one of the existing piece of software. Who will buy it?

Edit:

Of course the new MQL5 concerns the users which develop and use experts. I don't know how many of them do so 10% .. 15%.

For all the rest who use MT as a chart display the changes in MQL don't matter.

Miroslav I would think 90 to 95 percent use MT4 with EA's..... everything MT4 not EA related is easily done by brokers main in house platforms.... EA's at MT4 are its "Ace in the hole".... The main reason for its success... With MT5 and having to learn what is in effect a new language to not be able to hedge makes no sense though....giving up hedging to allow averaging/adding/reducing....a real (BAD) joke!!

** giving up hedging to allow averaging/adding/reducing....a real (BAD) joke!!

I mean Averaging AND hedging. What I said was "add averaging to MT4".

** I would think 90 to 95 percent use MT4 with EA's.

It's not what I see among the traders but it's OK.

Miroslav_Popov:

The big advantage of MT5 against MT4 is the ability of changing the amount of the position. This allows averaging (adding, reducing) of the existing position.

In MT4 is necessary to deal with multiple positions to do so.

MT5 has very limited position reducing abilities. This is a quote from thier own documentation which proves positions cannot be reduced by lots.

"Example: we've got one position for EURUSD 1 Lot. If another lot is bought, the position will be increased to 2 lots. If 1 lot is sold, the position will be closed."

That is not reduction it is elimination of the position.

252525:

MT5 has very limited position reducing abilities. This is a quote from thier own documentation which proves positions cannot be reduced by lots.

"Example: we've got one position for EURUSD 1 Lot. If another lot is bought, the position will be increased to 2 lots. If 1 lot is sold, the position will be closed."

That is not reduction it is elimination of the position.

I'm definitely NOT a fan of MT5 as it won't let me trade using proven strategy Hedge...but I think you'd be able to sell .5 lot and still have .5 lot remaining... for a reduction.

n8937g:

I'm definitely NOT a fan of MT5 as it won't let me trade using proven strategy Hedge...but I think you'd be able to sell .5 lot and still have .5 lot remaining... for a reduction.

Yes fractions of a lot but not full lots according to the documentation..... A possible solution would be to open a 1 lot Sell position to reduce a 3 lot buy position buy 1 lot *i think*.

** "Example: we've got one position for EURUSD 1 Lot. If another lot is bought, the position will be increased to 2 lots. If 1 lot is sold, the position will be closed."

It means if you sell 1 lot when you have 1 lot long, the position will be closed.

Miroslav_Popov:

** "Example: we've got one position for EURUSD 1 Lot. If another lot is bought, the position will be increased to 2 lots. If 1 lot is sold, the position will be closed."

It means if you sell 1 lot when you have 1 lot long, the position will be closed.

The Position had 2 lots total not 1.

Definite typo. if you close 1 lot of a 2 lot position you would be left with 1 lot.

Does anybody have any experience with MT5's position scaling? Can a position be scaled downward as well as upwards? I need clarification on this so that i might be able to port my EA'S over to MT5.

252525 wrote >>
Does anybody have any experience with MT5's position scaling? Can a position be scaled downward as well as upwards? I need clarification on this so that i might be able to port my EA'S over to MT5.

Just down load MT5......

Reason: