Does Ctrl-C copy & then CLOSES your MQL4 EDITOR ? Are you USING VISTA &/or SPYWARE DOCTOR from PC TOOLS ? - page 2

I have the same problem running Windows 7. Copy/Paste always crashes the Editor.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

-Jerry

LtlHdThnkr:

SOLUTION

I have found the crash to happen on my machine only when the following scenario exists (that I have found so far):

1) MetaEditor was closed with no files open, so when I start MetaEditor again there are no files open. If I open a file and try to copy text, MetaEditor crashes.

SOLUTIONS that have worked for me:

1) Leave a dummy script open all the time, so that when you start MetaEditor again, at least one file is open all ready.

OR

2) If you start MetaEditor and no files are open, create a new dummy scipt and then open the file you want to edit. If you are creating a new file to begin with, it won't crash when you copy text (at least it hasn't for me).

Hope this helps, it has worked perfectly for me.

LHT

Thanks, this actually worked! Tried all other things on Windows 7 without luck, but that did the work.

At long last I think I have discovered a workaround to this problem.

After starting MetaEditor you must first use CTRL/C on any file that is currently open. From then on I find that it works fine.

The problem occurs when, after starting MetaEditor, you open a file and use CTRL/C for the first time after starting MetaEditor within that file. So, soon after starting MetaEditor get into the habit of using CTRL/C on an already open file, i.e. a file that was being used last time you were in MetaEditor.

This problem has been around for over 3 years now, come on MetaQuotes why have you not solved it yet???

Derek

Hillderek:

At long last I think I have discovered a workaround to this problem.

After starting MetaEditor you must first use CTRL/C on any file that is currently open. From then on I find that it works fine.

The problem occurs when, after starting MetaEditor, you open a file and use CTRL/C for the first time after starting MetaEditor within that file. So, soon after starting MetaEditor get into the habit of using CTRL/C on an already open file, i.e. a file that was being used last time you were in MetaEditor.

This problem has been around for over 3 years now, come on MetaQuotes why have you not solved it yet???

Derek

Maybe we should do a quick autohotkey script to open metaeditor with a dummy file and do a crtl-c on it, then open your real file...

BillR:

Maybe we should do a quick autohotkey script to open metaeditor with a dummy file and do a crtl-c on it, then open your real file...

I think that CrapT4 should be fixed. Why should us programmers continually live with bugs in such unstable surroundings?

Every time I open ME, I have to open a new file, close my ME, and start again, or else the piece of turd crashes when I press ctrl-c - an inherent problem with CrapT4, which the creators will not fix, because they want us to port to 5. sheesh, can anyone imagine what will await us there?

GL

chris

BillR:

Very grateful for your post Hillderek.

This was driving me crazy. Found your Cntl-C method worked on MT4 Build 432 operating on Win7.

I found that if you don't close all files before closing MetaEditor, the fix sticks upon the next open.

Looks like this issue may have been fixed . . .

"MetaEditor: Fixed working with clipboard."

Preliminary Announcement of the New MetaTrader 4 Build 438

I have the same problem Metaeditor crashing when I try to copy text. I have tried to look for solution everywhere, but yet to find any cure for this bug. I am forced to try to move my coding to a more reliable platform.

Even with the recent builds, I am still plagued with this problem on Win 7 Ult 64. Moved the folder to C:/. The only solution seems to be opening and closing MetaEditor 4-5 times. After this, everything works fine. Usually I open my most recent files before doing this. That way, they will load up automatically. It would be nice if they could work on this.

stovedude:
Even with the recent builds, I am still plagued with this problem on Win 7 Ult 64. Moved the folder to C:/. The only solution seems to be opening and closing MetaEditor 4-5 times. After this, everything works fine. Usually I open my most recent files before doing this. That way, they will load up automatically. It would be nice if they could work on this.
Yes,  that is,  in my experience,  a workaround . . .  but you only need to restart MetaEditor once.  Open all the files in ME that you want to work on,  then with the files still open in ME close ME down and then restart it . . .  it will start with the same files open and you should be able to use copy and paste.
Reason: