trying to embed the python interpreter -> crash - page 2

7bit - have been following this developing issue. Is good work you and Ilnur have collaborated on.

Your 'work' is great. Presume all Python standard lib +? are usable?

TP Pro - many vers have I owned. All dos. C/C++ always in bkgrnd but Pascal was always friendly/bendable...

Now you say using Free Pascal which not know about. Must looksee. Found:freepascal.org. Is 2.2.4 ok? (not installed yet)

Found:python.org/download/releases/2.6.2/ Is Python 2.6.2 (latest I believe) for win ok? (not installed yet)

Where/from whom is best port? eg, python.org, activestate.com, or? (not too keen on much bloat/ide/rad stuff - but is issue of workable quick edit,[errors,edit,..,?],run/test,back to edit,... turnaround. cmd line based? or poss use eg PSPad or? to integrate into pseudo ide environ...)

Excuse all q's but Python has been on todo list for yrs... and what with my MT life, perhaps good time to see if can dovetail Python/FPK into it. MQL4 is not at all inspiring and even '5' will be a let down as yet again will be ltd subSet... Just like this site why do they have to DIY it all the time?

Regards

fbj:

7bit - have been following this developing issue. Is good work you and Ilnur have collaborated on.

Your 'work' is great. Presume all Python standard lib +? are usable?

TP Pro - many vers have I owned. All dos. C/C++ always in bkgrnd but Pascal was always friendly/bendable...

Now you say using Free Pascal which not know about. Must looksee. Found:freepascal.org. Is 2.2.4 ok? (not installed yet)

Found:python.org/download/releases/2.6.2/ Is Python 2.6.2 (latest I believe) for win ok? (not installed yet)

Where/from whom is best port? eg, python.org, activestate.com, or? (not too keen on much bloat/ide/rad stuff - but is issue of workable quick edit,[errors,edit,..,?],run/test,back to edit,... turnaround. cmd line based? or poss use eg PSPad or? to integrate into pseudo ide environ...)

Excuse all q's but Python has been on todo list for yrs... and what with my MT life, perhaps good time to see if can dovetail Python/FPK into it. MQL4 is not at all inspiring and even '5' will be a let down as yet again will be ltd subSet... Just like this site why do they have to DIY it all the time?

Regards

I use Free Pascal together with the Lazarus IDE. You can just download and install Lazarus, it comes bundled with the Free Pascal Compiler and everything you will need in one application.

Python is version 2.6 (NOT 3.1) download and install the original from http://www.python.org/ not the one from ActiveState, I never used the ActiveState Python, i can not guarantee that it will work too but in theory it should, as long as their python26.dll has the same API which it should have if they want to be compatible with the orginal.

If you are searching a good IDE for Python i can stronly recommend Eclipse with the PyDev plugin, in my opinion this is the best IDE for Python in this sector of the universe at the moment, but for the beginning when learning Python (and for small scripts or things you quickly have to do out in the field on other peoples machines where no IDE is installed use IDLE which always comes bundled together with Python and thus always is available)

For the screenshot with PyCrust that i made to demonstrate the multithreading i had to install wxPython which is a GUI toolkit for Python that also contains some other useful tools (like the PyCrust shell)

7bit - your comprehensive detail will be tried out - thank you.

Much to do...

Reason: