I need help with MT4 Account Copier

I'm trying to use an account copier EA and am getting an error message - "unknown symbol". I believe it has to do with the fact that I'm copying from a standard account to a mini - and the m after the currency pair name is messing me up. Is there a way to remove that "m" on my platform? Thanks for any help!

Sorry, nobody can help you. Change copier or broker.

Iceman0712:

I'm trying to use an account copier EA and am getting an error message - "unknown symbol". I believe it has to do with the fact that I'm copying from a standard account to a mini - and the m after the currency pair name is messing me up. Is there a way to remove that "m" on my platform? Thanks for any help!

Use the StringSubstr() function in your EA.

CB

cloudbreaker:

Use the StringSubstr() function in your EA.

CB

I'm new at this - can you elaborate?.....in simple terms?

Iceman0712:

I'm new at this - can you elaborate?.....in simple terms?

You could try looking up the function in the documentation.

However, it allows you to select substrings from within a string, based upon starting offset and number of characters from offset.

eg. on a EURUSD chart:

Symbol() = "EURUSD"

StringSubstr(Symbol(),0,3) = "EUR"

StringSubstr(Symbol(),3,3) = "USD"

CB

cloudbreaker:

You could try looking up the function in the documentation.

However, it allows you to select substrings from within a string, based upon starting offset and number of characters from offset.

eg. on a EURUSD chart:

Symbol() = "EURUSD"

StringSubstr(Symbol(),0,3) = "EUR"

StringSubstr(Symbol(),3,3) = "USD"

CB

I am so new to all of this. I've been trading equity options and forex for a few years now, but have NO experience in programming, writing EAs, etc. I have to admit, embarrassingly, that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Can you help me understand?

Iceman0712:

I am so new to all of this. I've been trading equity options and forex for a few years now, but have NO experience in programming, writing EAs, etc. I have to admit, embarrassingly, that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Can you help me understand?

Sorry mate, you're not giving me enough to work with. You've got to understand this is a programming site. Its a bit like posting on a medical forum to ask how to perform an appendicectomy only then to announce you're an electrician! ;-)

Assuming that the problem you talk about is something that's able to be programmed around, then I suggest your first step on the journey is opening up the sample .mq4 files and consulting the documentation to understand how they work.

CB

I guess he has got the ex4 version only.

cloudbreaker:

Sorry mate, you're not giving me enough to work with. You've got to understand this is a programming site. Its a bit like posting on a medical forum to ask how to perform an appendicectomy only then to announce you're an electrician! ;-)

Assuming that the problem you talk about is something that's able to be programmed around, then I suggest your first step on the journey is opening up the sample .mq4 files and consulting the documentation to understand how they work.

CB

I guess I'm just way over my head. I have an account copier program that's trying to make trades from on the EURUSD. The problem is that the account it's copying to has the currency pair as EURUSDm. So it won't copy. The name of the pairs have to match.

I've been trying to do some research via various online forums and it looks like there's a way to do something to remove the "m" from the currency pair on the second platform. That's what I'm trying to do.

I understand this forum might not be where I need to be, but I have to admit I'm not sure where I need to be asking this. As I said, I'm new at this.....by the way, I'm a 51 year old woman, so if you have a mom, maybe you can try to help me.... :-)

Do you have any idea how to help me?

Iceman0712:

I guess I'm just way over my head. I have an account copier program that's trying to make trades from on the EURUSD. The problem is that the account it's copying to has the currency pair as EURUSDm. So it won't copy. The name of the pairs have to match.

I've been trying to do some research via various online forums and it looks like there's a way to do something to remove the "m" from the currency pair on the second platform. That's what I'm trying to do.

I understand this forum might not be where I need to be, but I have to admit I'm not sure where I need to be asking this. As I said, I'm new at this.....by the way, I'm a 51 year old woman, so if you have a mom, maybe you can try to help me.... :-)

Do you have any idea how to help me?

Bit of a strange username for a 51 yr old woman, no?

Give us more details about what is happening:

- Precisely what is the purpose of the account copier programme?

- Is the account copier programme an EA running on MetaTrader?

- If so, do you have both the mq4 file and the ex4 file in the MT4/experts folder?

- What is the "other" platform?

- What does the "other" platform run on -same PC or different ie. how does it all hang together?

- How does the unwanted "m" manifest itself - where does it appear in the context of both platforms?

What am I getting myself into here??

CB

cloudbreaker:

Bit of a strange username for a 51 yr old woman, no?

Give us more details about what is happening:

- Precisely what is the purpose of the account copier programme?

- Is the account copier programme an EA running on MetaTrader?

- If so, do you have both the mq4 file and the ex4 file in the MT4/experts folder?

- What is the "other" platform?

- What does the "other" platform run on -same PC or different ie. how does it all hang together?

- How does the unwanted "m" manifest itself - where does it appear in the context of both platforms?

What am I getting myself into here??

CB

The account copier program is an EA that basically connects two computers - connecting one trading platform to another. The EA causes trades made on the 1st platform (the provider) to be made on the 2nd platform (the processor). Both platforms are running on MetaTrader. The purpose is that I have someone in another part of the country on the 1st end making trades during the overnight market, and the EA causes those same trades to be made on my computer, while I sleep. :-)

I have the EA up and running on a demo, but my problem is this: On the other person's platform, the currency pairs are shown as, for example, EURUSD, which is the same as on my demo. On my live account however, the pairs are shown as, for example, EURUSDm (as in mini account). So, when he makes a trade on EURUSD, the EA is looking for that same pair on my platform, but it's not there - it's EURUSDm.

So, what I'm trying to find out is if it's possible to do something on my platform that will basically alter the name of the pairs, so when the message comes from the other end to make a trade on EURUSD, it finds EURUSD on my end, not EURUSDm.

I can understand your frustration in dealing with someone who is asking questions about which they know so little. You are definitely performing your good deed for the day! And it's greatly appreciated.

By the way, Iceman is a user name my husband and I have just used in general for years. Usually there's no bearing on whether I'm a man or a woman when I use it.....I was just trying to garner some sympathy by pointing out my gender. :-)

Reason: