Is there an instructor in the house? - page 2

23510 wrote >>

Im not an instructor but i sent you a PM with a link to a very good tutorial created by Coders Guru...it will help cos it pus things simply.

cheers

Hi,

Would you send me the detail of the link as I am totally new to programmer?

Thanks,

Ali

allerune wrote >>

It would be definitely a lot of help to me :)

I am also a beginner in creating MQL scripts. I'm not a beginner in investing and I'm certainly not a beginner in programming. I know theory and practice, I can get where I want to... sometimes there is a problem "where do I want to get" and "is it possible". I don't want to spend months and hundreds of Euros to find out that "naaah, this is not the right approach".

What would be most helpful would be case studies. How people struggled to get to the point of operating profitable live system. What were their biggest failures, problems and most importantly how did they have to change their thinking.

If there was a book "diary of a successful MQL trader" I would definitely buy it :]

Hello Allerune,

Good to hear that others (newbies) are reading these threads, and replying as well. The info will be valuable to us all.

As for a book that you would read, my would be "Diary of a successful MQL Trader: Subtitled- After He has Made Every Mistake Possible."

Yea, that's me. I'm going to ask the most basic questions more than once. Hope that it does not put you to sleep.

Regards

Huckleberry

Thank you TSWilson. The info in your reply is taken wholeheartedly. Building a book for understanding MetaTrader (MQL4 Lanugage) will be time consuming, to say the least.

The emphasis on structure that you mention, the three steps, the building blocks that, or in my case stumbling blocks, towards completeing a worthwhile project. A thorough understanding of the lanugage is necessary, for anyone who wants to make his/her life as a professional trader. As in every lanugage around the world, we hear of broken lanugage. A person from the Phillipines will develope broken English. Good enough to get by without thoroughly understanding the English grammer. And so on for other lanugages about the world. A person can get by. A thorough understanding of MQL4 (MQL5) is a must.

As for myself TSWilson, not that I am giving you a resume, but you can have a bit of an insight on my techniques to solving a problem. First I will make every possible mistake I can conjuure up. Then ask for help. And with this new knowledge, I will sallie forth, to making more mistakes. No, I am not dumb. It's just a mechanics dream to tear something apart and work on it from then on. So as I say, a thorough understanding is a yes, but I never stop learning.

You feel a responsibility, pay back time as you mentioned, to develope a book. Every person, from well informed, to novice will be interested in reading. A hugh task, but a project that will be long lasting when completed. In any way possible, I will give you my help as I am sure most anyone here will do the same.

Regards, and good luck

Huckleberry

niko wrote >>

Hey Huckleberry / CB,

I am putting together an article on basic functions (how to structure them, how to call them, declaring variables, etc). This is based on help by Tim and CB, and I think it will help other newbies.

Huckleberry, if you could start doing the same with your questions (ie just put them in a text file and underneath each question put the answers given on this forum, and keep this file updated on your computer but don't post it yet)_ then we can compile the two documents into 1 article once we gather a lot of info.

Hopefully the article the way i can see it, will take a total newbie (like me or you) and guide them to build a small strategy step by step, explaining each bit, each function, where brackets go, etc. This is how I started and what the gurus did with me. I just had 1 OrderSend function about a month ago, and then started adding things to it (but didn't know how to do it properly as there was no simple guide, and so i got completely lost, hence turned to this forum).

So I document that would guide a total newbie to programming, to buliding a basic strategy (eg: a golden cross for multiple pairs or anything like that). Once the basics are understood the newbie can then start to modify the indicators and add new functions, etc.

What do you guys think about this?

nick

Hello Nick,

Your attempts at building your first program brought you to where you are now. (OrderSend function). Sounds like a good enough place to start. LOL.

I can not even start a function, not knowing what they do, or in what fashionh to ask them to function. The only lanugages I have done is Boolean machine lanugage at the jobsite, or with GenesisFT.

Your attempt to teach me as well as others will be helpful. And it will be no small project. Putting all the intricates together for an article will be time consuming, and listing the questions, may well be the best way to gather info for the reseach. I'm going to check out the reading material that TSWilson advised in the meantime.

Good Trading and Regards

Huckleberry

cloudbreaker wrote >>

How's it going?

Answers to specific questions.

Q1 where these abreviations (init, bool, etc.) go within a program, and just what do they represent, which one would come first (or if there is a hierarchy between them)?

A1 These are types of variable of which there are a number ( - bool, int, double, datetime, string). You can declare them outside all functions (all functions share them), or declare them within a function (they are only available to that function). You WILL use variables in your code. You might not need to use all types. You declare them where makes most sense and use them where YOU need them. There is no hierarchy.

Q2 Within the program (system) blah...blah money management blah...blah additional positions put on blah...blah when certain conditions are met blah...blah let the trade eventually get stopped out by the trailing stop blah...blah get into a trade and get out rather quickly blah...blah trade that is held for many days, or possiblly for many weeks.

A2 Yes, all this is easily possible and right in the sweet-spot of the MQL4 framework.

First things first.

1. Look at the documentation and how to declare and handle variables.

2. Also in the docs, learn about syntax for functions, code-blocks, curly brackets.

3. Appraise yourself of the purpose of the special functions init() and start() - and to a lesser extent deinit().

4. Open up the sample .mq4 files in your platform (in the experts folder) and annotate for yourself what each line is doing (with reference to the docs)

As you can gather, the documentation section on this site is a key resource.

CB

Hello CloudBreaker,

I'm doing fine Thank you, and how is yourself?

Getting use to the jargon, I suppose is where I am getting hung up. Once I muddle through the syntax, the how, when, where, and which one of the functions, scripts, etc., to use, the foundation would begin to form. Long way from finished, But the jargon is the first for me to understand.

I'll open the sample.mql4, and check out each line as you advise. I'll post if I get stuck.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Huckleberry

I just spent the last 5 years developing an EA. If you're not a programmer I strongly suggest partnering up with one. You need a pro to make this work properly.

PumPuiMonkey:
I just spent the last 5 years developing an EA.

Interesting.

Can you post a breakdown of the manday effort and elapsed time across the various project phases:

-Develop strategy

-Test strategy

-Code EA

-Test EA

-etc

Would also be interested to hear how many lines of code constitute your EA.

CB

cloudbreaker wrote >>

Interesting.

Can you post a breakdown of the manday effort and elapsed time across the various project phases:

-Develop strategy

-Test strategy

-Code EA

-Test EA

-etc

Would also be interested to hear how many lines of code constitute your EA.

CB

Good Morning CB,

Hope that all is well with you today.

I stumbled across another tutoring site for MQL3 (4) generated by Coders Guru.

His explanations or should I say, how he breaks down the processes are understandable.

www.metatrader.info

But how he is explaining the map, (how to manuver about the site) does not seem to be up to date with the MetaTrade web site that we are useing now. He mentions MQL4 as the predecessor to MQL3, so he would be concentrating on the MQL4, at this time for this self guided tutorial. I'll give you examples if you like as to how it is different. But maybe you have already dealt with this situation before, so I won't clutter up the tread. I am going to contact Coders Guru about this. I just thought I would throw out another avenue for learning the MQL4. Thanks for your input as to your technique for learning the MQL4 as well. Need all the help I can get.

Regards and Good Trading

Huckleberry

Huckleberry:

Good Morning CB,

Hope that all is well with you today.

I stumbled across another tutoring site for MQL3 (4) generated by Coders Guru.

His explanations or should I say, how he breaks down the processes are understandable.

www.metatrader.info

But how he is explaining the map, (how to manuver about the site) does not seem to be up to date with the MetaTrade web site that we are useing now. He mentions MQL4 as the predecessor to MQL3, so he would be concentrating on the MQL4, at this time for this self guided tutorial. I'll give you examples if you like as to how it is different. But maybe you have already dealt with this situation before, so I won't clutter up the tread. I am going to contact Coders Guru about this. I just thought I would throw out another avenue for learning the MQL4. Thanks for your input as to your technique for learning the MQL4 as well. Need all the help I can get.

Regards and Good Trading

Huckleberry

Sorry for the confusion, I'm happy enough with my own ability to understand and tailor the development process to suit the needs of the developers, technology, end users and type of project.

My post was a question directed at PumPuiMonkey, prompted by his 5 year EA development epic.

CB

Huckleberry wrote >>

As for myself TSWilson, not that I am giving you a resume, but you can have a bit of an insight on my techniques to solving a problem. First I will make every possible mistake I can conjuure up. Then ask for help. And with this new knowledge, I will sallie forth, to making more mistakes. No, I am not dumb. It's just a mechanics dream to tear something apart and work on it from then on. So as I say, a thorough understanding is a yes, but I never stop learning.

You feel a responsibility, pay back time as you mentioned, to develope a book. Every person, from well informed, to novice will be interested in reading. A hugh task, but a project that will be long lasting when completed. In any way possible, I will give you my help as I am sure most anyone here will do the same.

Regards, and good luck

Huckleberry

Hi Huckleberry (and other newbies)

I think the point you make about the way you like to learn is important. It seems to me that one problem is that different people have very different approaches to learning.

I have even come across quite a few people in my time who say that they cannot learn from books and need personal teaching or mentoring.

While thinking about what and how to write and the best way in general to teach someone new to programming how to program in MetaTrader, I stumbled across a series of 5 articles in this forum about programming in MQL4 for beginners. You can find them by doing a search on "MQL Language For Newbies". They are translated from Russian, which makes the language a bit strange in places, but they don’t look too bad at a quick glance.

I would be interested in your’s or anyone else's opinion about this series of articles - Their strengths and their weaknesses.

Does something like this do the job for you? There seems to be no point in reinventing the wheel.

From my own experience, I occasionally come across a technical book that really "talks to me" while many others do not. I think that this is more about stumbling upon a book that connects with my learning style and current level of interest and knowledge rather than disparaging the authors of all the other books. I must say though, that in my experience, not all books on a given subject are equal.

Regards

Tim

Reason: