Methods for preventing Whipsaw...

Hi -

Looking for some good tactics to preventing whipsaw.

1.) Are there any good methods to employ to lengthen the period for an indicator based on average range, etc.?

2.) Should an indicator lengthen the period based on a profitable trade already in progress?

3.) Are there common indicators in the MQL4 base that help with preventing whipsaw.

4.) Anything else?

Thanks!

- Mike

A

Know your pair - does it trend or range?

And during what hours?

If you following a trending pair as it seems you are, then look at higher timeframes as well and only take signals in line with the daily trend

If following a ranging pair, look at Bolli band width (StdDev is same thing)

Use ADX or VHF to decide whether a pair is ranging or trending at the time - but any pair will need observing to find the best mix and over what trading hours

FWIW

-BB-

BarrowBoy wrote >>

A

Know your pair - does it trend or range?

And during what hours?

If you following a trending pair as it seems you are, then look at higher timeframes as well and only take signals in line with the daily trend

If following a ranging pair, look at Bolli band width (StdDev is same thing)

Use ADX or VHF to decide whether a pair is ranging or trending at the time - but any pair will need observing to find the best mix and over what trading hours

FWIW

-BB-

Thanks BB -

Helpful as always! :)

Mike

See here for the VHF indi

'SVOS Multi-Indicator EA'

Good Luck

-BB-

BarrowBoy wrote >>

See here for the VHF indi

'SVOS Multi-Indicator EA'

Good Luck

-BB-

I modified the indicator I was working on to incorporate iStdDevOnArray and many sections where whipsaw was occurring now draw a horizontal line instead of pushing me in and out of trades. Getting closer...

Thanks again!

arachnode.net:

Hi -

Looking for some good tactics to preventing whipsaw.

1.) Are there any good methods to employ to lengthen the period for an indicator based on average range, etc.?

2.) Should an indicator lengthen the period based on a profitable trade already in progress?

3.) Are there common indicators in the MQL4 base that help with preventing whipsaw.

4.) Anything else?

Thanks!

- Mike

Mike, I have been puzzled by this problem for a long time, too. My present knowledge is as follows:

1. Some one in this forum says the value of ADX/Stddev can determin whether the market is trending or choppy. But I cannot find it :(

2. I found MAs are very good at trading in the trending market and thus avoiding the necessity of distinguishing choppy market.

If you found better answer, pls. feel free to let me know.

tzm:
Mike, I have been puzzled by this problem for a long time, too. My present knowledge is as follows:

1. Some one in this forum says the value of ADX/Stddev can determin whether the market is trending or choppy. But I cannot find it :(

2. I found MAs are very good at trading in the trending market and thus avoiding the necessity of distinguishing choppy market.

If you found better answer, pls. feel free to let me know.

It's been over 2 years since this person posted on this Forum, if he is listening a PM will suffice instead of bringing a 4 year old thread back to the top of the list to confuse everyone. Please don't do it.

Thread start date - 2009.06.09

Reason: