Where does MT4 keep my EA code?

This may seem like a dumb question, but here goes. (I am a programmer, but new to MT$, so forgive the question if it is dumb.) Last night I was modifying my EA code from a directory on a flash drive, compiling it there, and then copying the .exe to the MT4 experts folder.

Today, that doesn't seem to work. At least Strategy Tester doesn't recognize changes to an EA if I follow that procedure. For Strategy Tester to recognize my changes I have to either bring up the code in metaeditor using the button in Strategy Tester or bring up metaeditor from the menu. But then when I make changes I cannot figure out where MT4 is storing my source code. Can anyone help me to understand proper interaction between me, metaeditor, and Strategy Tester, and where MT4 is storing the changes to my EA code?

Thanks!

If you open an mq4 in some remote folder and compile it, the resulting ex4 will be created in that folder

To use the EA, you have to copy it or recreate it into the \experts folder of MT

If you just copy it to the \experts folder while MT is running, you will need to restart MT to 'see' it and run a backtest or attach it to a chart

OK?

Good Luck

-BB-

Reason: