How do I learn to code or modify an existing indicator

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but I need to know how to do this so I can

modify my own indicator and eventually build one myself.

I would like to find available sources online without spending hundreds on books.

If i could find example code with comments of what the code does that would be most

helpful. I tried reading a few articles but really couldn't grasp what the code does

aside for understanding some of the variable declarations and the defining of properties.

I would most like to learn how to add alarms to certain conditions such as cross alerts of a pair of averages

and alarms when various levels are breached. I would like to learn how to do this myself not pay someone. I want to learn about the logic of the code and what does what so I can build my own. help please

E

See the thread 'Programming in MetaTrader.' for general guidance

Search the forum for https://www.mql4.com/search/cross%20alarm

and the Code Base for many other examples

Good Luck

-BB-

The best site you will find for a learner is right here. Do a search on a keyword, and you will get hits from documentation, code example, articles, forums and other related hits etc.

However, I have one small complaint - this site can be quite slow. Or is it just me? ;)

BarrowBoy:

E

See the thread 'Programming in MetaTrader.' for general guidance

Search the forum for https://www.mql4.com/search/cross%20alarm

and the Code Base for many other examples

Good Luck

-BB-

thanks, i'll look into them when i have spare time.

blogzr3:

The best site you will find for a learner is right here. Do a search on a keyword, and you will get hits from documentation, code example, articles, forums and other related hits etc.

However, I have one small complaint - this site can be quite slow. Or is it just me? ;)

yeah but just searching around unguided and you could spend hour after hour not knowing what to look for. alot of the articles are advanced so it can be quite discouraging and add to the confusion. i'm just trying to find code with good commentary for the begginer that explains what the code does and it's logic. i've tried looking in the indicators i have and the commentary is not for the begginer. i'm going to try learning the keywords and read as many beginner articles as i can. i'm new at this haven't taken any courses never programmed before. all i understand at this point is variable declaration and defining properties. i have no idea the logic behind any of the code or how to make any type of program but i aim to learn. if i can learn how to do anything in mq4 in the next few weeks or months i'll consider that progress and if i can write a program by myself i consider my objective complete. i've got a few links to go though so when i have a few hrs i'll get into it.

Reason: