Proper Indicator Signals

Hello All:

I'm looking to perfect my entry signals for some technical signals in MQL4. For example, would the code below be correct for a buy signal when the Williams % R crosses above the -80 line [only included applicable piece of code]?

williamsrcurrent = iWPR (NULL, 0, 50, 0);
williamsrprevious = iWPR (NULL, 0, 50, 1);

buysignal = williamsprevious < -80 && williamsrcurrent > -80

Thanks guys,

Pat

Pat

Thats the general idea :)

but...

(always a but in Forex!)

1) I would never go on a signal from one indicator

2) Oscilators like iWPR() wiggle around such a lot that I would use two moving averages of the iWPR to see if one above the other and above your chosen threshold

Good Luck

-BB-

BarrowBoy wrote >>

Pat

but...

(always a but in Forex!)

2) Oscilators like iWPR() wiggle around such a lot that I would use two moving averages of the iWPR to see if one above the other and above your chosen threshold

Good Luck

-BB-

BB:

Thanks, :) I was really just wondering if that was the right way, I'm a trader first p rogrammer second so this is all relatively new to me. So programming the previous indicator (using shift value = 1) and the current indicator (no shift value), on either side of the trigger line does it huh? Of course i'm using other confirming signals :) Williams %R seems to work pretty well though!

BarrowBoy wrote >>

Pat

but...

(always a but in Forex!)

Good Luck

-BB-

Hi

Moving averages are delayed signals and are useless. Use a detrended stochastic with these conditions, when the slow crosses the fast or visa versa etc or a breach of pivot levels.

Good luck!

E

> Moving averages are delayed signals and are useless

I wasnt meaning MA's as such but using the <MA of the oscillator> is a powerful way of detecting divergence and hence imminent reversal

An MA in itself must lag, but as an oscillator will break before the main price action, this lag of the MA doesnt matter

See the attached chart for three oscillators breaking thru their MA's prior to price action
The MA's take the wiggle out of the oscillator enabling a clear, valid & programmable signal.

CCI is particularly goo for this.

I believe the original query related to trend starting rather than range detection (that stochastics can apply to)

As ever, my 2c worth :)

-BB-

BarrowBoy:

As ever, my 2c worth :)

-BB-

I would say it's worth more than that! Maybe about 20 pips, depending on lot size of course. ;)

Reason: